Help: XP Installation Issue

fash_1

Disciple
Currently, I'm running Win 7 Ultimate Edition on my eMachine E725 (Dual Core 2.2Ghz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, 250 Gig HDD, Intel GL40 Chipset)

I'm trying to install XP in place of Win 7 as I'm not happy with the performance. Last week when I tried to install XP, I encountered the BSOD two minutes into installation (after files copying was complete) which after researching I found out was an issue with the HDD type. I then changed it from AHCI to IDE. Now, the system does not boot at all (not from HDD, not from CD and not from USB). I just see a blank screen with a cursor on top left of the scree. But when I revert back to AHCI everything seems to work fine.

Could you please advice what could be going wrong here?

P.S: I tried the same XP disc with another laptop and it works just fine.

Normally the blinking cursor indicates the BIOS cannot find a boot drive. First update BIOS and check with manufacturer if the mobo supports Win XP. If it works the OS cd needs to be slipstreamed with latest updates so that it recoganises advance components. Is the HDD SATA?

see if u have an option in BIOS for bios-->system configuration-->SATA Native Support-->changed enabled to DISABLED ...and also enable any Legacy support. Also SATA drivers will be required , first check if the drivers are available in the manufacturers website.

Back