WP HERE Maps Vs Google Maps??

Google maps need active data plan, HERE map doesn't. Will work without even a SIM worldwide.
They recently allowed offline maps. And the good news is that the direction works offline as well.

I have used a couple GPS including, Here on Nokia and Here on Android, Garmin Nuvi, Tomtom Android, and a few more. (I use Ovi Maps as well if anyone remember it from old Symbian days).

None of them are perfect but most of them are workable. They all have improved a lot in past few years and for just directions I guess they are all very close. I think an independent GPS still has slight edge over mobile but I guess soon they will be identical. The difference maker will be traffic and not

Garmin pros are,
direction on left or right, Up ahead (search restaurants, ATM, petrol while in drive on the route)
Cons -> Do not auto reroute if there is a faster route available (Google does it)

Android Here Maps: Best offline maps application till google was just online. Does not tell if the destination is on the right or left. Do not auto reroute based on traffic.

On long drive I used Garmin which has HD traffic receiver with Google Maps (for alternate traffic), primary use of Google is its integration with various traffic services and it helps to have an alternate map/traffic solution just in case. Though I used here maps a lot I think for traffic I will rate google maps to be better. Plus I use maps.google.com a lot and I can just sync it easily.

Last time I used google maps it routed me from villages in delhi. It was bad. It just took me through the shortest route possible but it took me a lot more time to reach. I eventually had to call my friend for directions. Since then I've not tried anything else apart from Here. BTW Here is not perfect either.

Last time I used google maps it routed me from villages in delhi. It was bad. It just took me through the shortest route possible but it took me a lot more time to reach. I eventually had to call my friend for directions. Since then I've not tried anything else apart from Here. BTW Here is not perfect either.

I agree, it is my experience as well. Google maps once took me to a road where the ride was bumpy and I could drive max 30 (The irony is that there was a highway nearby which google did not route me to). And once Here took me to me my new office, except it wasn't there :p. This was on day of joining. So yeah depending on location, maps source and logic they are all faulty some times.

Here does have a lot of errors with regards to poi specific locations. But one thing it does great is find alternate routes.
It has happened once when we were supposed to come to Mumbai via goa. Sygic would tell us to come through kolhapur city whereas here maps took us to an alternate state Highway which helped us avoid bad roads and more importantly avoid atleast two toll booths. What's more is the route turned out to be shorter too.
After a while updated sygic with its newer version. Using it as a backup to here maps incase here maps misses out on some destinations to reach.

Superbad said:
Here does have a lot of errors with regards to poi specific locations. But one thing it does great is find alternate routes.
It has happened once when we were supposed to come to Mumbai via goa. Sygic would tell us to come through kolhapur city whereas here maps took us to an alternate state Highway which helped us avoid bad roads and more importantly avoid atleast two toll booths. What's more is the route turned out to be shorter too.
After a while updated sygic with its newer version. Using it as a backup to here maps incase here maps misses out on some destinations to reach.

Google maps need active data plan, HERE map doesn't. Will work without even a SIM worldwide.

Hey Rockfella, Is that true for even the new 'offline' version of google maps, does that also need a data plan to work? I don't want to download 400MB and be stuck...

I read above that you have tried Waze as well. any comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
tried my long tour with here maps.

seems after a few updates, their maps have improved, they atleast have corrected their mistakes.

was lost the last time i used here maps. this time, all was perfect. so a thumbs up for here maps.

Back