hibernation mode

harsh88007

Disciple
i am using vista business edition sp 2.
i want to know if there would be any problems if i use hibernate option frequently instead of shutdown.

please put forward your suggestions.
thanks..

I am not sure about Vista but i have an XP and used to keep doing hibernate for a week as i don't want to loose on the windows that are open. But yes if possible do shutdown / restart also in couple of days at least. The temp builds up and i have also found firefox also eating lot of memory as it runs for extended period of time.

harsh88007 said:
..... if there would be any problems if i use hibernate option frequently instead of shutdown??

Absultely no problems.:hap5:
I am using both XP and Vista, hardly restarts them... (once in a month).

I seldom used to "restart" my computer. I hibernated it most of the times.

It was approximately 1 month that I hadn't restarted my computer. And suddenly after 1 month when i restarted it, all the partition tables of the logical drives just vanished and I could see only my primary partition, ie, of my operating system. I never understood what the problem was! But I did learn a lesson.

ok. so to sum up everything, Hibernation is fine with regular restarts.
from regular restarts, i mean, it's fine to restart atleast once in a week.

ok thanks alot guyz..

Hibernation doesn't harm ur system.... it will not eat ur partiotion... lol.....

Hibernate is 100% safer.... faster to boot.

15qarrr.jpg

Hibernation does not harm your computer .Whenever you "Turn Off" or "Restart" your computer , your OS performs a series of POSTs (Power On Self Tests) like clearing out temporary files, flushing the cache memories and refreshing the Registry . These are not performed when you come back from Hibernation so over time your performance *may* get degraded .
That is the reason you should Turn off or Restart your computer once in a while .

no issues but from past 5 days i am hibernating only on my lappy and my hibernation file went increasing leaving me only 250mb in vista ultimate. so i deleted the hibernation file and then hibernate option dis-appeared had to enable again by powercfg / hibernate on

GrimReaper said:
Hibernation does not harm your computer .Whenever you "Turn Off" or "Restart" your computer , your OS performs a series of POSTs (Power On Self Tests) like clearing out temporary files, flushing the cache memories and refreshing the Registry . These are not performed when you come back from Hibernation so over time your performance *may* get degraded .
That is the reason you should Turn off or Restart your computer once in a while .

Then what is the difference between hypothetically leaving the PC on say for a very long time without a reboot and hibernating on a regular basis ?

I've noticed some misbehaving with Opera but mostly display related which tends to clear up with a refresh or tabbing between apps. Otherwise other apps appear to work ok. This is with a laptop & W2K.

On the desktop i notice performance related issues that can only be cleared with a either a app restart or barring that a full shutdown & restart. The PC on XP seems to be less stable through several hibernate sessions than the laptop where its not unusual to go months recovering from hibernate and the worst that is needed is a restart of a misbaehaving app if reqd. Not having too many apps open might help here but its by no means certain.

Back