Hide icon from System Tray and Task Manager

Hi TEians,

I'm using an application that leaves an icon of it in system tray. I want to hide the icon from the system tray without stopping it's services from running.
Similarly, I also want to hide its process from Task Manager.

Can anyone guide me, how to hide these icons so that they are not visible(in system tray and task manager) but the program is still running in background.

Do I need to edit registry or is there any software available? :ashamed:

Googled but got no satisfying result.

P.S. My OS is Windows XP Pro.

Thanks in Advance.

You can hide System tray icons by Right Click on Taskbar > Properties > Customize (Hide Inactive Icons) > And then you can choose 'Always Hide' corresponding to the icon to you want to hide. I hope this is what you wanted to know XD

^ I think what he is looking for really is the ability to run an application as a service, in the background, hidden from the tray, as also hidden from the Task Manager. Hiding from the tray should be possible, not sure about the hiding from Task Manager thing.

hash said:
You can hide System tray icons by Right Click on Taskbar > Properties > Customize (Hide Inactive Icons) > And then you can choose 'Always Hide' corresponding to the icon to you want to hide. I hope this is what you wanted to know XD

Facepalm. I know that, but that's not what I am looking for. Anyone can click on that 'arrow' and see the program that is running. In simple language, I want to vanish the icon from the system tray.

For example: There is an inbuilt feature in utorrent known as Boos-key which hides the icon from system tray but leaves the program running in the background. I want to tool which enable me to select the icon which I want to hide.

agantuk said:
^ I think what he is looking for really is the ability to run an application as a service, in the background, hidden from the tray, as also hidden from the Task Manager. Hiding from the tray should be possible, not sure about the hiding from Task Manager thing.

Hmm fine. Can you tell me the app that helps to hide icon from system tray? Leave the task manager thing beside ATM.

Sorry . lol .

But I used to do this Hide the whole Notification area. GPEDIT > Administrative Templates > Desktop > Start Menu and Taskbar.

I used to do this when my office mate used to keep turning off the utorrent. Disable the Notification are , Task manager , Control Panel . If that's what you're also trying to do here.

[attachment=6567:12055.attach]

There's a Registry key that you need to change to stop utorrent from showing up. I'm looking that up. About the Task Manager simply do it same way . GPEDIT > Disable Task manager.

It's has to something with this here > See if you tried this ...http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=39053 and http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090223042539AAm9qjV

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 250
Again, I don't want to disable/hide all the icon in system tray. Just some particular program's icon suppose Gtalk icon.

Regarding utorrent, there is an inbuilt feature known as Boss-key which forces utorrent icon to hide icon from system tray leaving the program running in background.. and I guess, you're still not getting me. :-/

Back