High end 4090 rig pc. So how to plug 16a into 6a socket of UPS?

Are you sure? Because forcing 16A plug on everything is going to cause more problems than it solves. 16A lines have higher amp breakers. Although one can use low wattage applications on 16A line, using high amp breakers negates any safety the breakers themselves offer.
Go through this, https://www.crsbis.in/BIS/app_srv/tdc/gl/docs/FAQ 1293-revised.pdf
I agree it's dumb but some how BIS just doesn't see the problem in doing this. Wire and connector(that come with the product/cable) are still only rated for 10A but the plug has to be the 16A plug.

Yeah i can connect my ups to a 16a socket but the ups has 6a sockets. So how will I connect my 16a pc plug to it?
Connect the UPS to 16A socket. Connect the PSU 16A plug using 16A -> 6A converter plug someone linked from Amazon above. You are done. That's how I am using my rig with a near 1-1.1KW peak power consumption measured

IMG_20221109_232911.jpg

Get this bad boy ;)

But my pc comes with 16A plug and may draw 1000W-1200W.
Nobody is talking about this part. What is your config that you think your PC will draw over 1Kw? I tried Outervision calculator, went to extremes with 4090, 13900K, 4 DDR5 RAMs, 2 SSDs and 2 10000RPM HDDs, 6 fans and an 360mm AIO, and still got a figure of only 971 watts.

And that's the peak. The PC will be never actually draw that much power unless you're stress testing the GPU and CPU together.

Switching the power cable with a high quality 6 amp cable will be much much safer than any converter you can find in the market.

Nobody is talking about this part. What is your config that you think your PC will draw over 1Kw? I tried Outervision calculator, went to extremes with 4090, 13900K, 4 DDR5 RAMs, 2 SSDs and 2 10000RPM HDDs, 6 fans and an 360mm AIO, and still got a figure of only 971 watts.

And that's the peak. The PC will be never actually draw that much power unless you're stress testing the GPU and CPU together.

Switching the power cable with a high quality 6 amp cable will be much much safer than any converter you can find in the market.
+1
Almost every smps has a iec 320 c13 connector.
Just use a regular 6a plug wire with this connector. You'll surely have a few lying in the house.
Else just a decent quality one from local pc shop or ask here nicely for someone to ship.

A 6A plug is rated for 1320W on our supply (assuming your upstream household wiring is built to specs)

It will easily handle the 60-100 idle, 600-700 load , maybe 800 burst of your pc with enough headroom.

How much total cost including battery? And what kind of battery?

Yeah i can connect my ups to a 16a socket but the ups has 6a sockets. So how will I connect my 16a pc plug to it?

The total rig will definitely pull at least 850W and i just want to leave some headroom to be safe.
for me it was 1Lac as I got 4 220A batteries. you can go for small unit of 2k and 2 batteries of 150A I think. should be below 40k or so...

Go through this, https://www.crsbis.in/BIS/app_srv/tdc/gl/docs/FAQ 1293-revised.pdf
I agree it's dumb but some how BIS just doesn't see the problem in doing this. Wire and connector(that come with the product/cable) are still only rated for 10A but the plug has to be the 16A plug.
Ok so if I read this correctly, 10A rated plugs are retired in favor of 6A and 16A plugs. 6A plugs still exist. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But how are 10A plugs any different from 6A? I didn't even know this convention even existed. I know 10A sockets are widely used but never heard about 10A plugs.

India needs to retire this the most ancient conventions for plugs and sockets. This was given to us by britishers 100 years ago and today nobody is using it. There are so many basic problems with this antiquated convention. Even poor african countries are using better plugs and sockets.

It's for safety of the wires in the cord. 6A at 220W can pull a max of ~1300W (theoretical) safely given that the wires on the cord are adept.
If OP's PC can really reach 1200W then I'd use a 16A plug with better wires quality and thicker gauge.

As for backup you'd need an inverter. Sure the UPS is rated for 1200W (2kVA) but it must have multiple sockets to split the load and the rated capacity per plug could be less.
Of course this all depends on wire quality etc. so better safe than sorry.

BTW that UPS won't work for the PC if it's on full load. I'm sure UPS will trip immediately.
More than rated consumption is only for intermittent duration and for a given temperature.. if cable temperature exceeds then wire resistance will increase and this could burn the cable.. it's better to go with higher rated cable of atleast 15 amps or higher.

i have 2 monitors with 16 amp plug. Due to power outages i have a ups to which cpu and laptop and my third 6amp plug moniyor is plugged in that. But i m worried for my 2 16 amp wala monitor as i cant find a ups with that kinda sockets. what to do. the discussion above i cud only half understand thats why posting this question. THanks in advance .

i have 2 monitors with 16 amp plug. Due to power outages i have a ups to which cpu and laptop and my third 6amp plug moniyor is plugged in that. But i m worried for my 2 16 amp wala monitor as i cant find a ups with that kinda sockets. what to do. the discussion above i cud only half understand thats why posting this question. THanks in advance .
Cut off the plug and attach a smaller 6amp plug. Cheaper than a convertor.

I'd say buy a 6amp cable, but there really is no use for these 16amp cables except for heavy appliances like oven/fridge. Even a PSU doesn't really need it. Might as well repurpose them.

Last edited:
Get a replacement IEC cable like this one. Do check the connector on the monitor end is same as yours and the plug on the wall end is small, I checked in the reviews of this one it's small.

And your monitors are most likely low power enough to be plugged into the same UPS with a multi plug adaptor, though you should check that of course. I doubt you would have to buy a new UPS for them.

Back