CPU/Mobo History of AMD CPU's

Not a complete history IMO... Quite a few older processors missed... including the 8085 variant, that Im using to teach uP to junior college students!!

^^ Yes it is
i guess he wanted the complete history of microprocessors of both amd and intel.

btw, intel 4004 was the first up isnt it

ballistic said:
Wasn't the 8085 an Intel uP???????

No it was orginally designed by Intel, but then AMD also manufactured 8085 but with a slightly different design and it was also called 8085. I teach students with Nec 8085, AMD 8085 and intel 8085

Also, another misconception among most popular textbooks is that 4004 is the first microprocessor which is untrue. The MOS-LSI was the first microprocessor and not the intel 4004.

all the processors by AMD before the K5 were basically clones. I guess thats why its not in that chart. AMD really hit it off with K6 II. Then followed it with the success of K7 and K8.

Funky said:
all the processors by AMD before the K5 were basically clones. I guess thats why its not in that chart. AMD really hit it off with K6 II. Then followed it with the success of K7 and K8.

Not actually, AMD probably had a lot better design for a RISC processor although the market didnt buy it... It was called the 29K. Also AMD had manufactured Am2900, Am293xx etc. which were bit-slice components. Since most of us only know about x86, hey had to clone intel coz it was their architecture.

I think something that we all need to acknowledge is that AMD has spent quite a lot of its time reverse engineering processors, but still they have survived such a long time...

Back