Home Interiors

Tron05

Adept
Guys,

We have purchased a resale flat and will be moving in before this year end.

The flat has is a 3BHK, has a 28 x 12 Drawing/living room.

All rooms already have quite huge wardrobes made. I am thinking of getting a interior designer do the drawing room.

I have some ideas, but dont know how to get it executed.
Also, whats the kind of expense would i be looking at?

DIY buddy!!!

if you think you have ideas, then there is no reason to go for a pro designer, use your imagination, get a load of magazines, raid the net......and i think you'll be just fine....

also this way you can keep the cost in check, doing one bit at a time.....

one of the thing i was thinking of is a false ceiling like this. But to get this finish, would require skilled workers and i dont know whom to approach for this.

Tron05 said:
Guys,

We have purchased a resale flat and will be moving in before this year end.

The flat has is a 3BHK, has a 28 x 12 Drawing/living room.

All rooms already have quite huge wardrobes made. I am thinking of getting a interior designer do the drawing room.

I have some ideas, but dont know how to get it executed.

Also, whats the kind of expense would i be looking at?

Go to a magazine stand go through a few mags, get the one with the design you like, execute it..

you're looking at

POP( False ceiling) -10k(atleast)

furniture- 20k(atleast)

Sofa- get a readymade one

Lighting- 4-8k(pop lights come for abt 800rs per piece atleast for simple-decent ones.)

Fans- 1-2k epr piece

flooring- decent vitrified tiles abt 25k..(70-80rs sq ft)

tv etc extra..

Painting extra..(texture and all come costly)

Any decoration you do will be above this..flooring is important..you'l really feel the difference..

Labour may be as per ur city rates, generally its 30% of materials for furniture..

In a drawing room, only thing that the designer will do is the front showcase/design and select a pop design, rest even u can design..If you have a good taste, then you can go for ti ur self..select a design and give it to a good carpenter..

Tron05 said:
one of the thing i was thinking of is a false ceiling like this. But to get this finish, would require skilled workers and i dont know whom to approach for this.

Thats a very-very common design..there are many more that can be done..

Dont go for open space for lighting effect

1) cause of dust and insects

2) light changing is a PITA

3) Loses it novelty after some time..

Tron05 said:
But to get this finish, would require skilled workers and i dont know whom to approach for this.

Best answer would be somone whom u know ...whose home interior u have seen and praised ask that person for contacts....

No doubts local interior or supplier might guide u but they will think according to their commission and here ull find one seeing one persons job

i know people would suggest you can do it yourself , you can just see your design and do it on your own , its no biggie , just need some labourers and some pictures , but i disagree

you need to go to a designer for this ..yes he will cost 10% of the budget but the team of people he will have to do it , the options that he will suggest , the cost cutting measures he will do , the various design ideas he can generate according to you will more than enough for that expense ,

locate some designers , see their portfolio and have a chat with them...

Hmm, false ceiling is a strict no in all the new flats in Mumbai, as the greedy builders to dump in more floors, have reduced the height quite a lot. If your ceiling is less then 10ft in height, a few extra inches will cramp up the place real bad...

Thanks for the advice guys.

hmm. This flat is in Hyderabad and it has 10ft height.
From the comments here, i feel false ceiling would need some maintenance later on.
maybe i will keep this for the end.

1 important requirement is a TV unit.

- the nearest plug point is about 2 feet away from where i intend to wall mount the LCD tv.
- DTH cable will run across the drawing room for about 20 feet
- cables from STB to TV

do u guys have any ideas, how best i can conceal the cables?

for the DTH cables i have thought of using the cable concealing pipes.

will it be a good idea to have a wallpaper behind the LCD? maybe 3 ft x 3 ft and use a teakwood frame?

Congratulations on buying your own flat.... :)

Just read that you are from Hyderabad....

My friends wife is from Hyderabad... she is an Interior designer...

She was earlier based in Hyderabad but now she is a home maker....

Will contact her & let you know if she can refer any carpenters etc for your job....

pm me for more info

Back