Home Network setup question?

Hi,

I have a setup with a single phone line connection with 2 points (one in the bedroom and one in the dining room). The rooms are about 6-7 metres apart (the dining room is in the middle of the house).

Currently the ADSL modem is connected to the phone line in the bedroom.

Now I am planning to get a Wifi Router and since the dining room is the centre of the house am thinking of moving the ADSL modem and the new Router there.

However if I do this the desktops in the Bedroom will not be able to connect to the internet after this I guess?

So I was wondering if it is possible to have 2 ADSL modems (one in bedroom and one in dining) and connect the dining one to Wifi router. If I do this will I be able to have internet connections in both places or will they not work? :S

Or does anyone else have any idea how this can be achieved? Would really appreciate any ideas here.

You can get a Wireless adapter for your desktop so that you can connect to your wireless network and get internet in your desktop too. :)

As its only for sharing the internet it wouldnt matter if its wireless or wired as the internet speeds are not that high here. :p

It's not only for the net.
There are 2 desktops at present (and 2 laptops) so wanted the 2 desktops to connect to each other at faster speeds for gaminf file transfer etc. (1 is a download rig).

^ I think that should work, but depends on the signal strength.

So I'm not sure if you'd get a reliable speed, but it should be alright :p

Ok so I guess that 2 modem on 1 line thing won't work? (theoritically it doesn't seem to make much sense either :))
Anyway am off to get a linksys WRT54G2 now. Will check the signal strength and then decide.

its better to get ur gaming machine directly connected to ur ADSL modem through wifi router and wireless to other PC/Laptop...(as wireless connection cause slightly higher pings)

Also if ur using torrents/online Gaming then its best to put ur ADSL modem in bridge mode (to enable port forwarding) and take connection from ur wifi router.

ADSL (bridge mode) -> wifi router -> wired connection to ur gaming machine & wireless connection to ur laptop and torrent machine.

Well this is how my home network is connected....

Phone line to modem cum wifi router connected via LAN to main desktop and download rig

Another desktop in a different room has a Wifi Dongle to establish a wireless LAN and share internet connection.

Back