home networking help needed!!!! pls!!!

bhaskarvyas001

Disciple
Hi friends, :(
Getting directly to the point, the things go as follows...

1. I have a BSNL 750 plan
2. The modem is the one provided by BSNL people. The model is UT300R2U by UTSTARCOM
3. I have a D-Link DES-1008D ethernet switch
4. 2 PCS

Got to connect these so that I can go on with sharing the internet as well as files on the two systems.

According to my research, Simply connecting the three devices with a lan cable should do but it's not working that way. However i see 3 lights glowig but o sites open nor can I see the other system.

Experts pleaseee help.... :S

Thaks in advance...

What are the IP addresses on PCs. Have you tried to ping the PC/router from PC? What are the cables used for connecting switch to PC, straight-thru or cross-cable? First make sure you are able to ping the PCs then connect the router to setup internet access.

Setting up a workgroup is easy. In Windows XP, right-click on My Computer, select System Properties| Computer Name | Change, and enter the appropriate computer name and workgroup. Make sure that every computer on your home network references the same workgroup, in order to grant access to all other workgroup machines.

Basically "create" a workgroup in one computer and then just type in the exact same name in the other computer for the workgroup. To access the other computer just go to Network...

You will also need two LAN cables or WLAN cards for both PCs . You can also have a look at this >>

If the LAN cables do not work , just open a browser in one of the PC's and type in > 192.168.1.1 > You'll need to provide your password to configure the modem settings. In the modem settings page , have a look around and figure out if both the ethernet ports on the modem are activated...

bhaskarvyas001 said:
i tried pinging the modem at 192.168.1.1 but dead response...
even pinging on the other pc returns no response...
is it prob with the switch???

It would help to decipher the issue if you would post the IPs of the Modem,Host1,Host2

They might be on different networks/subnet

First, make sure you can ping both the PCs from each other. If, they are in same network.. like 192.168.1.2,192.168.1.3 etc. You should have no problem pinging Host2 from Host1. A straight Ethernet cable is to be used.

Back