Home networking help

phoenix844884

The Analyst
Skilled
Networking noob here so please be kind.

I have a 2mbps adsl connection on the top floor of my house where my family lives. I stay on the bottom floor where the wireless signal is very poor. So much that I need to sit right below the router position on the ground floor to get a respectable signal.

Now I want to catch that mtnl wireless router signal and amplify it throughout my floor. I realize that I need a wireless amplifier/repeater for this task.

Secondly I want to connect 4-5 gadgets to this wireless network to access the internets. One of these devices is a Samsung smart tv which will be coupled with either my laptop or my note 2 for wireless video streaming over this network.

So friends, what decice would be best for me? Something that does all of the above?

Max distance that any signal will have to travel in any direction is 20 feet.

All help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Connect a cable to the top floor router pull it down it till the ground floor then connect that cable to any N150 Wifi Router. You will have two Wifi Networks running on the same connection.

TF MTNL Router ---|
SF .............................|
FF .............................|
GF NewRouter -----|

Yes, but if you keep everything wireless, your speeds will drop drastically since you plan to connect multiple wireless devices to the repeater.

Would suggest to instead (asuuming you are using a seperate modem and router)

ADSL MODEM ---- SWITCH (WIRED) ---- MAIN ROUTER
.............................................................|
.............................................SECONDARY ROUTER

PS Ignore the dots

Advisable to use seperate SSIDs for both router to avoid issues.

If you dont have a seperate modem and router, just connect the wire from the main router to another router and put router in AP mode.

I have a 2mbps adsl connection on the top floor of my house where my family lives. I stay on the bottom floor where the wireless signal is very poor. So much that I need to sit right below the router position on the ground floor to get a respectable signal.
Its not clear to me whether you live in a GF+2 house or GF+1.

If its GF+2, is there the possibility of moving the router to the FF. This way you will get better coverage on the GF and retain coverage to the top floor as well.

On the top floor where is the router presently located, edge of the building or more central ?

Is your house layout rectangular or square.

Now I want to catch that mtnl wireless router signal and amplify it throughout my floor. I realize that I need a wireless amplifier/repeater for this task.
What model# is this mtnl router ? How many antennas does it have. Are they external and can they pivot ?

What sort of streaming are you referring to ? Just you tube or your HD movies as well.

Secondly I want to connect 4-5 gadgets to this wireless network to access the internets. One of these devices is a Samsung smart tv which will be coupled with either my laptop or my note 2 for wireless video streaming over this network.
Indicate whether these gadgets are b,g or n ?

Max distance that any signal will have to travel in any direction is 20 feet.
How many walls to go through and their thickness ?

Back