Home Networking with a Router

samatre

Disciple
Hardware

1. Desktop connected to the router by an ethernet (wired connection). Runs Win XP
2. Laptop connected to the router through Wireless client. Runs Win Vista Home Premium
3. Printer connected to the Desktop through USB.
How do I configure the Laptop and the Desktop to have them share files and be visible in the network neighbourhood. I would also request tips on sharing the printer in different modes (either printer server or as a shared resource of the desktop pc.

thanks,
sam

That's quite simple. Enable sharing in XP and Vista. Right click folder and share. Shared folders should now show up in My network places.

Incase you can't see the shared folders try to access from run command with the ip address of the machine you want to access. UPNP protocol is buggy and may work or may not work. In my network places in the last tab change it to 'Hide icons for upnp devices to Show icons....'

I don't have a printer but I would presume it works the same. Share it and you should access it over the network.

You can use IP Messenger which is available for free. This is one of the ways through which you can transfer files from One PC to another.

raul said:
That's quite simple. Enable sharing in XP and Vista. Right click folder and share. Shared folders should now show up in My network places.

Incase you can't see the shared folders try to access from run command with the ip address of the machine you want to access. UPNP protocol is buggy and may work or may not work. In my network places in the last tab change it to 'Hide icons for upnp devices to Show icons....'

I don't have a printer but I would presume it works the same. Share it and you should access it over the network.

Okies will try this out. Thanx

Btw, the printer has an USB port while the router has an ethernet port - how do I solve this problem.

saurabhkum said:
You can use IP Messenger which is available for free. This is one of the ways through which you can transfer files from One PC to another.

Thanks Saurabh - will check this one too !! :)

Raul,

I have a question here. Ok I need to enable sharing on folders to see them in My Network places. But even without doing this I tought I should have seen the other computer on the network (like in network neighbourhood) but I am unable to see any computer here. What could be reason..

Hi Samatre, I thought the same, but didn't find any of the PCs in 'My Network Places' then did a bit of research and realized without sharing you can't see the PCs.

Even once you share sometimes they don't show up unless you enable upnp. Its very buggy basically but works. Is it working for you now?

raul said:
Hi Samatre, I thought the same, but didn't find any of the PCs in 'My Network Places' then did a bit of research and realized without sharing you can't see the PCs.

Even once you share sometimes they don't show up unless you enable upnp. Its very buggy basically but works. Is it working for you now?
I din't try or if I must say, din't get a chance to try. The OH has taken over the desktop to do her work and given the laptop to me :S

I'll try during the weekend and let you know. Thanks anyways.

Back