Car & Bike honda brio vs ritz vs swift and other hatch backs

I am planning to buy a hatchback under 5 lakh.
I really liked the style of brio.
but I have confusions regarding petrol and diesel engine.
I will run around 500 kms maximum in a month.
I also need good interior space, ride quality and mileage.

In addition to this please give the opinions about the audio system in the brio.
If brio is a good option please suggest the varient(I am looking a the base model.)
I also need your experience with brio:: long time ride quality knee room, leg room,handling ,mileage etc.
if possible please give me a comparison with other hatchbacks including the pricy polo.

please give your valuable opinions and advises.

If the monthly fuel budget for 500kms = No Problem = Choose Petrol.

Consider Ford Figo as Test Drive if the Internal Space is Top Priority - > Ritz -> Swift.

But as I heard Petrol version of Figo got some performance lag...wait until some owner confirm. For Figo way to go for Diesel version.

Only problem with Brio is low Ground clearance & open boot space ( Visible what inside when parked due to no cover...don't know if this issue sorted out with current gen model ).....else no idea.

I have a brio v-mt as my second car since Dec 2011. Its an excellent small car. The interior is really roomy even for a 6 footer like me. Ride quality is a bit bumpy at low speeds cos of a stiffer than average suspension compared to competition. However at speeds, its way more stable. You can do 120-140 day in day out without trouble and it reaches there rather quickly for a small hatch. The longest I've driven is roughly a 2000km drive from bangalore to calcutta over two days. It was extremely comfortable all through. Handling is better than the rest of the cars in its price range. Punto and Figo handle better but have sissy engines. As for mileage - I get anywhere between 10.5-12 in the city in bangalore. You might do better if you don't floor it. I don't drive for economy. On the highways, the max I've managed is around 19. Normally it varies between 15-17 depending on how you drive. The only other hatchback I'd choose over the brio right now is the 1.5L Liva TRD edition and the Polo TSI. The 80hp liva and the 3 cylinder polo are rubbish cars however.

As for ground clearance, it is low - 155mm. However the car never really scrapes anything because of the super short wheelbase - that is unless you take it off roading :). Honda also has a boot cover now I think. Mine being a first batch car doesn't have the cover. The boot is the only issue with the car - its tiny. You can just about fit one suitcase in it.[DOUBLEPOST=1369132416][/DOUBLEPOST]To add, there are a couple of other things I hate in the car - there's a dashboard rattle from day 1 which honda can't fix. Every single brio I've driven has a similar rattle. The second issue is that the front suspension is softer than the rear unlike vice versa in most cars. As a result the front dives quite when taking curves at speeds. Requires either stiffer springs/dampers or a strut brace. I'm gonna try the latter very soon to see if it fixes these issues. Also stock tyres - MRF zvtv or Goodyear are hopeless. Change to better rubber soon.

I would strongly suggest the Honda Amaze if you can increase your budget. Best VFM car in the market currently, and has even crossed Swift in sales

From the thread beginning itself your heart is with brio and your just trying to find a logical reason to convince your brain. Just get a brio...after all a car is something you have to see everyday for years to come.

We have the polo and the swift in our family. I am 5'11 and i cant sit comfortably in the polo, but awesome build quality. To me everything else is better in a swift including sheer driving pleasure.
On the other hand a friend has a brio and its a very comfy car, no doubt. Drives well and is very spacious. BUT, i just cant stand the way it looks. I had posted the same in another thread a couple of months back and i honestly think it doesnt look like a solid guy car.

But int ur budget 5 lacs? how are these options gonna fit in your budget unless you buying the basic variant...

PS: sorry i didnt read ur last comment properly. Congrats on ur purchase buddy.

in my office my manager owns a polo.I just ride it around 100 kms.I realy liked the handling, the build quality and the ac.I just understood its a worthy car for the money.

But then isn't the polo above your budget. I bought the base brio and trust me, it's a real driver car. Dint let the small dimensions fool you...it's actually more spacious than the swift. I agree that hondas generally have low clearance but my brio has never scraped a speed breaker. Plus the problem of see through boot can be solved by a cover (2-3k oem)..base is damn bang for money to at appx 4.3 lacks...

The Brio is one lovely car. We have both the Ritz and Brio in house. I prefer the Ritz for longer drives because of the space (Both boot and rear seating) and the meatier engine. The brio though is a lot more FTD because of the low clearance and great handling (Compared to Ritz). The complaints Chaos raised are fully true, the rattle is irritating, there have been a couple of door niggles in the first month itself, but that's as much to complain.

Comparing with the cars brio has very good legroom but it has no rear head rest adjustable.
My father mother and me sat on the back and it is really annoying.No width only two can sit correctly in the back.
next is the unsettled riding in the back.Very sensitive to the road condition and the sound is really disturbing.
there is a vibration on the clutch when applying horn.
boot space is really low.
long driving is not good in the brio.

Comparing with the cars brio has very good legroom but it has no rear head rest adjustable.
My father mother and me sat on the back and it is really annoying.No width only two can sit correctly in the back.
next is the unsettled riding in the back.Very sensitive to the road condition and the sound is really disturbing.
there is a vibration on the clutch when applying horn.
boot space is really low.
long driving is not good in the brio.

Yep the lack of headrest is an issue for back seat folks. However the bonus of not having headrests is very good rear visibility.

The ride at the back is poor if the tyres are over inflated. Honda recommends 26 at the rear and 30 at the front. If that is not followed, you'll get bad ride quality. Even then, the ride is far better in a polo or punto.

As I mentioned earlier, boot is good only for one suitcase and no more.

Clutch vibration is something I'm hearing for the first time. Maybe it was specific to that car. Never experienced it in my car.

Brio is good as a secondary city runabout. Its a big mistake if you buy it as a primary car.

Yep the lack of headrest is an issue for back seat folks. However the bonus of not having headrests is very good rear visibility.

The ride at the back is poor if the tyres are over inflated. Honda recommends 26 at the rear and 30 at the front. If that is not followed, you'll get bad ride quality. Even then, the ride is far better in a polo or punto.

As I mentioned earlier, boot is good only for one suitcase and no more.

Clutch vibration is something I'm hearing for the first time. Maybe it was specific to that car. Never experienced it in my car.

Brio is good as a secondary city runabout. Its a big mistake if you buy it as a primary car.

That being the case bro, even as a secondary car, why wont you buy the tried and tested Figo or chevrolet Beat. Dont get me wrong here, i love and own Honda cars, but everything about the brio kinda puts me off, considering lesser priced options available in the market.

That being the case bro, even as a secondary car, why wont you buy the tried and tested Figo or chevrolet Beat. Dont get me wrong here, i love and own Honda cars, but everything about the brio kinda puts me off, considering lesser priced options available in the market.
Cos I don't need a bigger car? The beat is claustrophobic inside and has rather insipid handling and a engine that doesn't like to be revv'ed. The figo has good handling but a slow as hell petrol and a horribly noisy diesel. Plus the ford/chevy is bound to develop issues sooner than a honda. The brio gave me good handling, a really nice petrol engine, lots of space for the front passenger and a short 4.5m turning radius. It ticked all the boxes for a secondary car. Also when I bought it, the price was a lot lower than now.

Back