Car & Bike How and where to learn car driving ? Don't own a car yet

raksrules

Elite
Some background first, In 2009 or so i had joined a local motor driving school to learn car driving. But neither at that time nor now do I own a car. So the only driving I have done is in that school and with assistance of the instructor.
Between 2011 mid and 2012 end I have extensively driven an automatic sedan but that was in USA where the driving conditions were far far better and hence that experience I don't really consider much.
Since I don't own a car here, where should I learn to drive car ? If and when I buy a car I will most probably buy an automatic (celerio ? ) but I think I should be able to know manual and should be able to drive one with confidence.
There have been instances where I thought that if I knew how to drive, It would have been better. Want to that's why know driving properly.
I am not very keen on going with the local motor training schools. How is the maruti driving school ?

The way you sound from your post, you wont be able to drive manual with confidence unless you drive for an year.
Indian traffic and roads are two separate entities and one needs sustained driving practice to get to a certain comfort level. If you keep thinking and aiming for an automatic, in my humble opinion, you wont be able to drive a manual with much dexterity.

Best bet would be to go for a refresher/full course via a driving school, and maybe aim for a manually driven car.

@Spacescreamer

The reason I keep insisting on automatic is because I don't want to personally drive a manual but I need to know manual in cases where I may have to drive someone else's car.

And I realize that learning car is futile If I don't really own one on which I can regularly practice. Due to not being able to drive, I cannot even go for test drive if and when I intend to buy the car.

And that is why i say that you cannot keep a manual at the back of your mind and keep aiming for an automatic as first choice. :)
Add to it that you want to keep the manual transmission's driving skills ready for a rain check, it ll only be more logical to aim for mastery on a manual system than automatic.

Transition from manual to automatic is very easy, but trying to adjust to a manual from an automatic, esp on Indian roads is not an easy task. One of my relative has had a UK's driver's license, and in the past 20 yrs the fellow has never been behind a driving wheel of any vehicle, ie since returning back to India.

And I realize that learning car is futile If I don't really own one on which I can regularly practice. Due to not being able to drive, I cannot even go for test drive if and when I intend to buy the car.

If at all a possibility, get a small car with a manual transmission for wifey. Then make the switch or get the car of your choice for yourself.

Last edited:
Learn properly on the manual at least the 1st, 2nd gear mastery with clutch play. And then hit the road and be ready for an avalanche on your: senses, ego, and mental stability. When you can manage all of these (along with the mechanicals of a classic "H" gearbox), you can stop and buy an automatic. And any day pick up stick-shift.

The core aspects to Indian driving are:

1. Mechanical gears -- with clutch. You do not want the car to stall or turn off.
2. Engine clearance for left and right and rear.
3. Managing road rage / bikers and obnoxious driving culture.

First one you can learn, second one you would know since you drove in the States, third you have to acquire via experience. It should not take too long. For starters at red light, do not start your car and let people honk at you from behind. Bear the brunt and move forward slowly in first. Get used to these aspects, and you are good-2-go.

AFAIK you only need need practice to judge the clutch play. that would take at the max 2 to 3 days.
since you have had some driving experience in USA, driving is not going to be such a task.
the only thing needed for driving in india is patience (loads of it) considering the lack of discipline by jaywalkers, bikers and the auto drivers.
the fear of getting your car scratched more often or not will curb your reflexes to act quickly.
try out your car in wee hours to get acclimatised with the cars tune. this will prevent stalling your car on incline or choosing the right gearing when driving.
during the initial period, drive with a co - driver, to help you judge the corners of a car.

all this should take at the max a week to get the hang of it.

Actually I was also facing the situation like yours few months back, despite no real experience had enrolled in one driving school but it actually turned out to be not so useful. that's because I didn't factored the timing and was just keen to *learn* the mechanicals and had mostly driven the manual in very low traffic (in morning batch 8-9 am). Traffic in Nagpur is not like Mumbai/Bangalore so could manage to drive with less gear changing.

Still I wasn't much demotivated for driving a manual and my requirements has performance and comfort in first priority.But before buying a performance vehicle I had a decision of making myself perfect on normal car. So I took decision of buying a used manual hatchback. first took test drive of few and then realized that I can't risk myself for my driving. and had made a checklist of must have safety features, unfortunately most cheap cars don't even have airbags.. and as I had decision of getting a performance oriented vehicle later on. I asked myself why not get that one instead with good safety features. If I had confidence on my manual driving then I would be having a Linea T-jet today.

But fate has different plans, As out of curiosity had booked polo tsi test drive for experiencing an automatic (with best safety features like ESP) I didn't believed that this is finally the solution for my needs. but too bad a hatchback isn't going to cut it. then good thing happened. the vento tsi launched (had shortlisted others as well) but liked vento the best for its DSG and Safety features like ESP and finally got it.

Its been 2 weeks and I feel much more confident in driving (almost drove 400 kms even on Indian road conditions including peak hours) I feel much more confident that I won't be stalling it ever and won't be causing any inconvenience to fellow road users.

In short getting comfortable with 2nd and 3rd points quoted by asingh.

I feel that once I am confident with this I can slowly move to tiptronic and then to full manual (getting a cheap/used manual hatch) as I will be much more experienced with driving.. Although I am sure that this will be just for learning and that I won't be going for fully manual as my primary car ever.

Learn properly on the manual at least the 1st, 2nd gear mastery with clutch play. And then hit the road and be ready for an avalanche on your: senses, ego, and mental stability. When you can manage all of these (along with the mechanicals of a classic "H" gearbox), you can stop and buy an automatic. And any day pick up stick-shift.

The core aspects to Indian driving are:

1. Mechanical gears -- with clutch. You do not want the car to stall or turn off.
2. Engine clearance for left and right and rear.
3. Managing road rage / bikers and obnoxious driving culture.

First one you can learn, second one you would know since you drove in the States, third you have to acquire via experience. It should not take too long. For starters at red light, do not start your car and let people honk at you from behind. Bear the brunt and move forward slowly in first. Get used to these aspects, and you are good-2-go.

Just for info what do you mean by Engine clearance for left and right and rear.

I am not very keen on going with the local motor training schools. How is the maruti driving school ?

Maruti Driving School is Good and only school which allow 1 candidate at 1 car for 1 hour with instructor. I learned my driving there and completed the Learner Course (11 hours of Practical Car Driving) Oct 2013...I'm yet to get permanent Licence.

Now if anyone asked me if after completion of course ;

1. Am I get benefited from MDS ?
2. Am I ready to drive my car ?

The first question is Yes ! being a completely layman about 4 wheeler driving MDS gave me enough confidence and I have enough knowledge about car controls and nobody able to fool me.

The second answer is No. I can't drive my car independently as I may scratch it or do something wrong.

So what is the best way to learn ? Get hold someone who willing to share his knowledge/experience (and his car or if you have one) & sit beside you to assist when you learn and it take max 7-15 days to drive a manual car confidently if user practice say 2-3hour everyday. It is not possible to learn driving completely in a training car because it equipped with additional paddle which controlled by the instructor to wrap up your session fast, so he can proceed to next one.

IMG-20140223-WA0000.jpg

Can't do that on someone else's car..

Back