How can I build a web server?

webserver

Disciple
Mar 17, 2008
Kharagpur
I want to build a web server (Linux Platform), It should work online as a web server from which i can host my own websites. So, how can i proceed??

thnx in advanced :)

rapt0r

Adept
Jun 15, 2006
u really want to create a web server program from scratch ? or you just want to host your websites . In first case, good luck . In second case, use apache,lighthttpd,etc.. both works great in linux .

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
In addition you would either need to register a domain or get one of those redirecting services if you are on dynamic IP addr.

If you don't need to access beyond your LAN you can skip the above steps.

Otherwise you might be able to get up & running quicker by finding a suitable hosting company for a nominal fee :)

linuxtechie

ex-Mod
Aug 9, 2007
www.linuxtechie.net
rapt0r said:
u really want to create a web server program from scratch ? or you just want to host your websites . In first case, good luck . In second case, use apache,lighthttpd,etc.. both works great in linux .

In case of first, let me make it more difficult, start with writing your own. By the time u get started, u would be out of idea as why u started in first place.
:rofl:

~LT

leo_club

Disciple
Oct 27, 2007
Do you mean you want to create a server at home where you can host your sites yourself??
if yes then you can use a LAMP(Linux Apache MySql Php) setup
I don't know much about this but I have setup a server at my place which works fine but haven't actually put any site there.
its very much online when i want it to be and you should be able to use CMS to upload sites and stuff(don't know much about that either)

If I have totally misread the original post umm.. enlighten me :)
Leo

raja_mastana

Adept
Apr 9, 2006
linuxtechie said:
In case of first, let me make it more difficult, start with writing your own. By the time u get started, u would be out of idea as why u started in first place.
:rofl:
~LT

that wasnt funny! if you have nothing useful to offer JSTFU!

@webserver

Try LAMP

booo

BA BA BA BABANANA
Skilled
Mar 4, 2008
Colodaro
buy a box with lots of ram, and cpu.
get a connection with static ip.
register the domain name with that ip.
install linux/windows.
install lamp/rubyonrails/etc...
use virtualserver settings of apache to host different sites on the single box.

The above mentioned stuff will host a site with small scalability. if you want big things like high scalability, high availability clusters etc... try getting a million dollars first.

if you want to host a site for free, there are options. like joyent.com or microsoft(some program) or sun's startup initiative etc...

47Shailesh

Adept
Apr 4, 2008
sujit801 said:
that wasnt funny! if you have nothing useful to offer JSTFU!

@webserver

Try LAMP
sirji
LAMP is Linux+Apache+MySQL+PHP

he already has his webpages, so why would he need MySQL and PHP.

webserver

Disciple
Mar 17, 2008
Kharagpur
hummm lots of confusion... :(

i hv a server pc,, 24x7 internet connection,,,
It should work online as a web server from which i can host my own websites....

neomustdie

Adept
May 14, 2006
www.thinkjayant.com
first you need to have or buy a static ip.... not the static internal network ip of servire provider but a static ip for the internet...

you can do it... but the thing is later it might turn out a bit of a hassle to maintain... better use some shared hosting...

DanDroiD

Skilled
Apr 17, 2007
You don't need a static ip ... exactly. If your router supports it, you can use any one of a number of free services out there that give you a free domain name and will update to the domain name service using ddns from your router firmware, then of course you would need to port forward as well.

Here is the first one for you to check out to get you started

DynDNS Free Dynamic DNS (DDNS) Service

installing LAMP in Ubuntu is super easy, just open up System>Synaptic Package Manager

In synaptic Package Manager

Click on Edit>Mark Packages by Task>

Select check box for LAMP and click ok....

Ubuntu will install all packages to turn Ubuntu into LAMP server

webserver

Disciple
Mar 17, 2008
Kharagpur
PiXeLpUsHeR said:
You don't need a static ip ... exactly. If your router supports it, you can use any one of a number of free services out there that give you a free domain name and will update to the domain name service using ddns from your router firmware, then of course you would need to port forward as well.

Here is the first one for you to check out to get you started
DynDNS Free Dynamic DNS (DDNS) Service

installing LAMP in Ubuntu is super easy, just open up System>Synaptic Package Manager

In synaptic Package Manager
Click on Edit>Mark Packages by Task>

Select check box for LAMP and click ok....
Ubuntu will install all packages to turn Ubuntu into LAMP server

okk... howz centos or red hat...

varkey

Skilled
Sep 8, 2006
Bengaluru / Cochin
www.varkey.in
I have a dedicated server @ Hetzner.de that I am paying monthly about 2.6k. I get the following.

AMD Athlon64 3700+

1 GB Ram

160GBx2 HDD

10 Mbps unmetered bandwidth ( I use about 2 TB every month )

Total 7 useable IPs

I host many PHP/MySQL sites in it.

So just go for a dedicated server from US etc and it will be much cheaper. Ofcourse higher config servers will be more costly but you can get a mid-low server for less than 3-4k.

Paying for a fast internet connection, electricity costs, etc etc will be much much higher if you want to do it from your home and will lose the reliability you get from a proper data center.

gee

Disciple
Dec 9, 2007
47Shailesh said:
sirji
LAMP is Linux+Apache+MySQL+PHP

he already has his webpages, so why would he need MySQL and PHP.

MySQL if he has a database and PHP if his site uses PHP :D

and which 24x7 internet connection are you planning to use ? (I don't think you can run a server from your home connection if thats what you have in mind)

and LAMP is more to setup a test environment (atleast that's what I would use it for).