Audio How can I replicate the Macbook DAC with a mobile DAC?

ash110

Disciple
I have a Sony XM5 and a CCA Lyra IEM. I found the audio quality of the Macbook Pro DAC to be excellent, might be the best audio experience I've had. I can't really explain it, but things seem clearer, there's a better sound stage, and it's easy to differentiate between the different instruments.
I want to replicate this quality with my phone. I currently have a OnePlus 6 and use the 3.5mm Jack, but will upgrade later this year and most new phones don't have a headphone jack, so will need a Type C DAC.
What about the Macbook Pro DAC/Amp that makes it sound so good, and is it possible to replicate with a mobile DAC for relatively cheap ( < 5k )

Yes, from the makers of Macbook -
I did consider this, but I saw many reports on Reddit that with Android you need a higher volume unless you're rooted which I'm not looking to do
Will keep this as an option, especially cause of the price, but want to know if there's something else I should consider

You can buy a portable DAC like iBasso DC 03 for Android phone

any good DAC for 3.5mm jack mi phones?
3.5mm output is already analog. DAC is a digital to analog converter. Can't convert what you don't have.

However, pretty sure you can still use USB-C dac with your phone, if it has a USB-C port.

Also, you might want to look at a headphone amp.

Venture Electronics Avani
Venture Electronics Abigail

Either of these should work well for you. The Avani is neutral sounding while the Abigail is slightly brighter. I had the Apple dongle before and now use the Abigail. Both are very similar sounding but I prefer the Abigail for the higher volume and durability.
I got the venture Abigail, I have an android phone and was trying to stream hi res lossless on apple music, but still it is streaming in lossless and not hi-res. Is there any setting I might be missing ?

Ah yes. Sorry the hi-res lossles Shows as 24 bit/ 192 kHz. I am trying to get that on the phone.
In Android, you will remain at 44.1. You will either need to root your phone to go higher than that or use an app like UAPP which bypasses the Android driver altogether and sends bit perfect audio to be processed by the DAC.
Does Apple Music recognize the DAC ? I am asking as I never used it.

Last edited:
From the link I shared, I see that 24/192 is the highest it can go.
Yes yes , thats the one i am aiming for, i have switched it to the max through setting and ideally it should play in 192, but i am getting the 48kHz one indicated by lossles under the music player , so i was thinking maybe i missed some setting change i need to do, to get that!

Yes yes , thats the one i am aiming for, i have switched it to the max through setting and ideally it should play in 192, but i am getting the 48kHz one indicated by lossles under the music player , so i was thinking maybe i missed some setting change i need to do, to get that!
Understood. Updated my above post.

In Android, you will remain at 44.1. You will either need to root your phone to go higher than that or use an app like UAPP which bypasses the Android driver altogether and sends bit perfect audio to be processed by the DAC.
Does Apple Music recognize the DAC ? I am asking as I never used it.
Got it , thank you so muchj!! And yes earlier it wasn't letting me switch to 192 option, but after I connected the DAC , it let me change the setting. So I think it recognized.

Not familiar with Apple products (strictly anti apple) but if you like the sound of the DAC maybe you could see if there are any measurements about and see what matches. While it isn't necessary that it will sound the same even if the measurement is close you could try. Also are you using AAC on Apple and MP3/FLAC on the phone? I have found that AAC often has a certain sound to it.

Lastly have you considered EQ? This could help achieve what you want if the EQ is of good quality (in built phone EQ is usually not sufficient for this) and you know what to do with it.

I got the venture Abigail, I have an android phone and was trying to stream hi res lossless on apple music, but still it is streaming in lossless and not hi-res. Is there any setting I might be missing ?
You will not get hi-res lossless for all songs in Apple Music. One you test is 'Rust Never Sleeps' album. If this one too is showing 'lossless' and not 'hi-res lossless' label in now-playing, you have to check with Venture. I tried using Fiio E10k on ipad and on K20 Pro and I am getting hi-res lossless. Also, I doubt if you will see difference between lossless and hi-res with CCA Lyra.

Btw, why not use a VPN and subscribe to Tidal? That service is miles ahead of Apple Music for hi-res audio.
I did consider this, but I saw many reports on Reddit that with Android you need a higher volume unless you're rooted which I'm not looking to do
Will keep this as an option, especially cause of the price, but want to know if there's something else I should consider
What is your budget?

Last edited:
Lastly have you considered EQ? This could help achieve what you want if the EQ is of good quality (in built phone EQ is usually not sufficient for this) and you know what to do with it.
To be fair . i have yet not looked into equalizer as much, just tried fiddling with the base a lil bit with sony EQ app and their bright setting has worked with me, need to figure out what my signature will be in that aspect.
You will not get hi-res lossless for all songs in Apple Music. One you test is 'Rust Never Sleeps' album. If this one too is showing 'lossless' and not 'hi-res lossless' label in now-playing, you have to check with Venture. I tried using Fiio E10k on ipad and on K20 Pro and I am getting hi-res lossless. Also, I doubt if you will see difference between lossless and hi-res with CCA Lyra.

Btw, why not use a VPN and subscribe to Tidal? That service is miles ahead of Apple Music for hi-res audio.
I will try Tidal now , to see where i land, I am using the Final 3000C, however it also might not cut much on what is required for a hi-res i guess, what would you suggest as an IEM which might help me get the good enough distinctive experience of a high-res without breaking my bank? (thinking upto 10k)

To be fair . i have yet not looked into equalizer as much, just tried fiddling with the base a lil bit with sony EQ app and their bright setting has worked with me, need to figure out what my signature will be in that aspect.

I will try Tidal now , to see where i land, I am using the Final 3000C, however it also might not cut much on what is required for a hi-res i guess, what would you suggest as an IEM which might help me get the good enough distinctive experience of a high-res without breaking my bank? (thinking upto 10k)
There is no IEM that can do justice to hi-res audio stream. You may have to go with wired open full-size headphones.

Back