how can one hide his ip address

digen

Disciple
Jun 7, 2005
www.oobertech.net
You can use Tor for staying anonymous by hiding your IP address.Though you better read the faq & docs to get a better understanding.

Tor: An anonymous Internet communication system

Tor is a toolset for a wide range of organizations and people that want to improve their safety and security on the Internet. Using Tor can help you anonymize web browsing and publishing, instant messaging, IRC, SSH, and other applications that use the TCP protocol. Tor also provides a platform on which software developers can build new applications with built-in anonymity, safety, and privacy features.

Info & Download

bosky101

Adept
Jan 24, 2005
bosky101.blogspot.com
Use a good firewall to prevent ohters from pinging, doing other snooping attempts to connect to your computer if that was what you were worried about.Proxies are also a good idea,but i dont see how it can be helpful if you are not in a network based environment.As for anonymously surfing the internet without them finding your ip, try surfing thru sites like proxify.net and anonymizer ,etc

digen

Disciple
Jun 7, 2005
www.oobertech.net
prevent ohters from pinging
You mean blocking ICMP echo replies to the echo requests made by a host at the firewall end?

Dude bosky no offence mate but I would like to know your clarification on this, I've read the ICMP protocol pretty well & if I'm wrong then please let me know but by blocking ICMP messages you are no where anonymous as you think you are.There are guides/material on the internet on how to make your computer "stealth" by blocking echo reqeusts but I belive they hardly tell you the truth when it comes to ICMP echo requests/reply.

When you ping a IP address a echo reply is expected by a host sending them.Be the reply whatever destination unreachable,host unreachable...
But here with ICMP blocked the destination host doesnt reply which itself makes it crystal clear that there is the destination host which is alive but not replying to echo requests.

Even a nmap scan should reveal as port filtered.So blocking ping at the firewall end isnt gonna add you a added layer of protection at all.
Anyways here is the RFC:ICMP.

bosky101

Adept
Jan 24, 2005
bosky101.blogspot.com
...a echo reply is expected by a host sending them.Be the reply whatever destination unreachable,host unreachable...
ya i was talking bout the ping ... if ur on a firewall or so, thats when you get the destination unreachable as you read . where it does allow others to snoop around is by using finger or proggies like netstat,blackhat tools, etc which are drastically handicapped if u have a firewall where they would otherwiesget info on OS used ,etc.thats the point... Its still possible even with a firewall ,but i'll leave that to the networking guru's.

nice introspection there, digen.

digen

Disciple
Jun 7, 2005
www.oobertech.net
Indeed but if i'm blocking ICMP echo requests/replies by using a firewall or by using this method which works in Windows 2000/XP/2003 : How can I configure a Windows 2000/XP/2003 computer to block Ping packets?

Here is a simple example ,
Microsoft.com blocks ping echo requests from hosts dude to DDoS attacks.

So the output of pinging www.microsoft.com is:

But when I scan the same IP with the -P0 option it tells a different story.

I hope you understood whay I'm trying to convey.

Params7

Skilled
Mar 18, 2005
dude, your best bit to hide your 'IP address' are proxy servers which are very difficult to find. Firewall i think stops hacks from your PC but doesn't stop Licsenced Websites like Microsoft.com from registering your IP address. :p