Budget 0-20k How cheap can I get a used Core 2 / Athlon II system?

metz

Recruit
Apr 17, 2012
I am hoping for 3k - 4k cpu + mobo + RAM + HDD considering You could build one for 8k three years ago. Would it be worth it? Considering the mobo can be damaged. I looked at olx and ebay but all prices there are 10k+ :O. I could build a new for that much. I already have case and PSU. I'm using linux and will only use it for basic browsing, video playback and occasional editing and some occasional 3 modelling, programming etc. I'd also like getting a used monitor for ~2-3k. For intel i'd have to get a GPU too I guess.

I'd really like to get a new build but I can't put money now so was thinking if I could do with this iinstead of getting a low end new system. I currently have a P4. And where can I buy them (used) in Delhi?

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
@metz definitely not worth it. And from next time on please follow this format --> http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/template-what-should-i-buy-73107/p2/#post839513.

Even if you cannot follow above said format, at-least tell us your budget, what components you might be salvaging so that we can give you a better answer.

For now the only answer I can give you this -- Go buy the PC from Nehru Place.

Which SMPS do you have?

Welcome to TE hope you have a pleasant stay here. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

amitkher

Disciple
Jan 26, 2010
I am hoping for 3k - 4k cpu + mobo + RAM + HDD considering You could build one for 8k three years ago. Would it be worth it? Considering the mobo can be damaged. I looked at olx and ebay but all prices there are 10k+ :O. I could build a new for that much. I already have case and PSU. I'm using linux and will only use it for basic browsing, video playback and occasional editing and some occasional 3 modelling, programming etc. I'd also like getting a used monitor for ~2-3k. For intel i'd have to get a GPU too I guess.

I'd really like to get a new build but I can't put money now so was thinking if I could do with this iinstead of getting a low end new system. I currently have a P4. And where can I buy them (used) in Delhi?

Trying to buy from shops / ebay is useless. If the regular computer shops started selling second-hand computeres, they would get too many customer complaints, reputation issues, and too much work for too little margin. You can see the market thread on TE (and other Indian sites too) - there is nearly always an unsold old system which the seller is happy to get rid of at almost any price.

Advantages of old hardware over new : 2+ year old graphics typically have best linux support. Hard disks failure issues were less common before the Thailand flooding. Cheaper.
Disadvantages : Less performance per watt.

When buying, take care that capacitors are not swollen. Check out the motherboard model, and it will typically last longer if it has fully solid capacitors. Run memtest86 for 15 minutes to check RAM issues. Take a linux live distribution on a pen drive, and check hard disk issues smartctl - non-fatal errors are expected for old hard drives, not a big deal. You need backups even with perfectly healthy hard disks, so this should not be a deal breaker. Big dust deposits are bad too. After buying, clean dust properly using a brush lightly, and an air blower - use a balloon inflator from a gift shop / vacuum cleaner / hair dryer's blower , not too strong so that static doesn't kill hardware. Attach dust filters on all openings of your cabinet after installation, install enough cooling fans.

Since you already have a PSU, hopefully a good quality one, biggest reason for old hardware dying is gone. Other than that, old hardware was too sturdy for hardware manufacturers' own good - it is very unlikely a used system will die quickly if you take a little care before buying it. Definitely value for money. Power consumption will be a little higher, so never consider old hardware if it is for 24x7 operation, though.

As for software support, take care to check the phoronix review of the graphics card linux drivers. Typically, AMD/ATI is to be avoided, but check exact model. Which 3d modelling software would you use? Do keep in mind that other than 3d modelling, Intel graphics are best because they have the best linux drivers.

metz

Recruit
Apr 17, 2012
Thanks a lot all for the quick responses! I guess I will look more here and in other forums and think about it. But I wouldn't really consider it if I can't get mobo / ram / cpu in under 4k. I'd rather buy new next year. The rising dollar is a pain too. As for graphics, I think AMD works fine in linux now and it would support good video at least I guess.