Graphic Cards How do I make my PC HD Ready/Capable?

Corleone

Adept
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this. Mods you can move it where you see it fit.

My PC Config is as follows:

AMD Athlon64 3200+
Asus M2N8-VMX (NVIDIA GeForce 6100 + nForce 405)
4 GB Transcend DDR2-800 MHz in Dual Channel
Geniune Ms Windows XP SP2
19" Widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 932NW (via regular D-SUB)

I am unable to play HD Files on it and it's obvious my system is NOT HD Ready. They play but, with stuttering and slowly so no use.

I wanna make it HD Ready with minimal cost and changing minimum components.

Can I just add a HD Capable GeForce card and play HD Video on my PC? If yes which one do you recommend?

I don't play games so, playing HD Movies is the only use I'll be making that card.

Please let me know.

Thanks in Advance.

lol ...just get the Asus M3A78-EM (4.5k) and you are good to go. A sempron 1.8Ghz CPU coupled with a 780G mobo is good enuf to decode even an encrypted Blue Ray Movie :D

You can sell your mobo and get the Asus one. Other way round is to get an ATI HD4350 via KMD for arnd 2.5k~3k(35$ + shipping on egg)

Just get the GeCube HD3450 256mb DDR2 Rs. 2500 approx. I have it and it rocks in HD playback. Slutter free and stunning, even better than 4850 (not image quality wise but smoothness etc)

GeCube, HD3450, 256MB DDR2 Rs. 2350 + Rs. 85 shipping.

TheITWares - Graphic Cards

Supra said:
lol ...just get the Asus M3A78-EM (4.5k) and you are good to go. A sempron 1.8Ghz CPU coupled with a 780G mobo is good enuf to decode even an encrypted Blue Ray Movie :D
Well, actually blu-ray is quite easy to play. Decoding mkv takes more horsepower :p

Corleone, get a graphics card such as the 3450. If you have vista, just use MPC-HC. If you're on XP, follow the guide. It'll solve the problem for most of your HD movies. For the ones that cannot take help of gpu acceleration, brute cpu power is the only solution.

Hey all,

My mobo is nVidia based and I've heard that AMD/ATI based Graphics Cards can have issues with them.

I see that ATI HD3450 seems to be a hot favourite here. Is there a nVidia based card with performance and features similar to the ATI HD 3450?

I guess putting an nVidia on an nVidia based board should eliminate any possible issues.

What do you guys say?

Lord Nemesis said:
Shouldn't that machine be enough for handling 720p or even 1080p videos. :S

That's what I was thinking. May be some config or codecs are wrong. Gotta see that guide in detail.

I have a few HD Videos. One plays. Rest have AV Sync issues and are almost non-watchable. :(

Considering the fact that even the Atom based eePC are likes can play 720p videos. I thought mine should have no probs till 1080p :p

^ Nopes 3450 better and cheaper, however 8600gt will give you gaming power as well. I suggest 3450 ONLY IF YOU NEVER PLAY ANY DEMANDING GAMES!

i had a very similar system some time ago with far lkess RAM (amd 64 3200+ with 1 GB RAM)
It used to handle 720p quite nicely
1080p would run ok, but seeking on 1080p would cause the AV sync to go for a toss
(I used to use KM Player)

Back