How do you clean your contact lenses?

blr_p said:
Yes, but how much of this is due to poor maintenance rather than overuse and how are you able to distinguish between the two ?

If its the former then yes especially with kids disposables are defnitely a safer option.

One thing i've always done at the end of the day is cleaned my lenses out religously even when i was drunk :)

From what you have said it seems non-disposables should be removed off the shelves right now. They are a risk to public health.

I still remember the words of an orthodox optometrist nearly 15+ years ago.

"there's no such thing as an all-in-one"

Those were also the days you used a soapy solution to clean with and after rinse out with lens fluid. But B&L multipurpose had been on the shelves at least a cpl of years prior.

There is absolutely no lens solution that will clean 100% of the protein and calcium off of your lenses. The enzyme tablets that were in use a few years or so ago were pretty good but a little harsh on the lenses eventually causing the material to break down. ;)

What happens is that small amount of these deposits are left behind and they will build up on the lenses over time regardless of how well you clean them.

Of course our knowledge and technology is improving, back in the old days they used heat cleaners that were plugged into the electrical sockets. They actually baked these deposits onto the lens and were far worse than better. We have also discovered that solutions that contain preservatives such as Thimerasol have long term negative effects on the eyes.

Look, you don't have to listen to me they are your eyes I am just trying to give you the benefit of someone that has studied and worked with many contact lenses of differing material compositions. I have fit 1000's of pairs over the last 25 years and in my opinion no chances are worth taking when it comes to your eyes, you only get one pair and if it costs you an extra few hundred dollars a year... aren't your eyes worth it? I have seen far to many people have irreversible damage, to consider taking the chances you do. :)

Look, you don't have to listen to me they are your eyes I am just trying to give you the benefit of someone that has studied and worked with many contact lenses of differing material compositions.

On the contrary, am very grateful as i expect others too who are interested with this topic :)

You made the case that tablets were not redundant (as i thought) and with them not available anymore, that lenses *have* to be replaced on an annual basis, if one opted for non-disposables.

back in the old days they used heat cleaners that were plugged into the electrical sockets. They actually baked these deposits onto the lens and were far worse than better.

Hah, i remember those, never used them tho. There were even the ones you could wear for a month continously but the doctors always told me to stay away from them. Dailys were safest. And those hard ones, the type that could slip out without too much effort but with better vision than the soft variety.

It may not be too long where disposables are the only type available.

OK then Pixelpusher, what do you recommend? Monthly disposable contact lenses, right? And how long should one wear them? 40 days?

Should I abandon my yearly disposable contact lenses then? Tablets are not available anymore and the AOSept Hydrogen peroxide solution didn't work.

Abhi.

Back