How does HL2 run on your system?

undertaker

Skilled
I am fed up with HL2-stutters like a pig and sometimes even drops to 19 fps!
This on a overclocked 6600gt!Is this due to my cpu?Or due to the fact that I have the emporio release ,btw the retail version seems to be equally problematic with steam and all atleast from what I have gathered from various forums.Any ideas?
And DOOM3 which actually has more memory usage never stutters.

Well..... I have NO problems whatsoever..... but then, my rig is capable of playing it at high settings.....

and I am using the retail version.... the 1299/- version

my 9800 pro, 1024x768, everything maxxed out, 8x AA and 4x AF, fps averages about 45-50, usually stays above 75 FPS.

system config below
Intel 2.8 E HT
512 x 2 RAM
I *65 GBF
9800 pro 256 MB DDR2.

mind u, am talking about cat 5.5 here, havent tried it with cat 5.6 yet :)

No stutters here, our pc's are similar except you have more ram and hard drive space.
Luckily never got the famous sound stutter problem either.

Are all of you using the retail version?(I'd be surprised then!)Coz I read that the game has had more than 1GB of updates since initial release.
And what is the version of the current source engine?
Mine is 2187.

Rave said:
my 9800 pro, 1024x768, everything maxxed out, 8x AA and 4x AF, fps averages about 45-50, usually stays above 75 FPS.

system config below
Intel 2.8 E HT
512 x 2 RAM
I *65 GBF
9800 pro 256 MB DDR2.

mind u, am talking about cat 5.5 here, havent tried it with cat 5.6 yet :)
Hehe I hope u mean 4xAA,8xAF :). I run it at 1280x960 8xAF on the 9800 pro with everything maxed except water which is at reflect world. Stuttered earlier in the older builds but doesnt stutter any more. Generally the frame rates are in 60-70 range and where there's lots of water, it drops down to around 40.

Edit: Legit version here.

Will going to 1gb make a difference?Thats the only upgrade that I am willing to do on this system.(And even for that a 256mb stick will go waste as I have 256mbx3)

undertaker said:
Will going to 1gb make a difference?Thats the only upgrade that I am willing to do on this system.(And even for that a 256mb stick will go waste as I have 256mbx3)
Dont think its gonna make a difference. Ppl have reported hitching with 2 gigs of ram and 256MB X850XT cards as well. Its basically hl2 version/driver combo that screws it all up.

Yeah saw the video posetd on the net where the guy with 2G and X800XT was having similar problems.Anyway peak memory usage only reaches around 780mb max in any case ,therefore swap file used is not of any significant amount.

undertaker posted 42.25 minutes later:

Also I get some stutter in Far Cry for about 10-15 seconds on levle load ,after that its mostly fine@high/very settings.it happens even if the peak charges is less than 650mb which my system can handle easily.Doom3 seems to be the best in this regard.I guess Doom3 precaches the entire level.

A peak charge lower than your total ram doesn't guarentee there will be no ram flushing. It only guarentees there will be no flushing due to insufficient memory.
A game designed to flush ram at level loads regardless of free memory will still do since the coders felt it's needed for optimal performance.

On my pc, farcry stutters when firing a weapon for the first time after a fresh load no matter if I set textures to low or very high.
But nothing like the 10-15 seconds you complain of, that happens only if I load farcry after playing a lot of doom3.

Doom3 doesn't use as many textures per level, and also it being coded by carmack affects the memory management.

On my old 5400rpm 20gb, farcry used to stutter constantly at anything above medium textures, unplayable basically.
This got smoothed out when I exchanged it for a faster 7200rpm 40gb, so every bit helps.

Any one up for a 17" monitor in exchange for 2x512mb ram?LOL
Guess will try to upgrade to 1Gb (psychological level if nothing else) and see, and b'coz I hate to waste any good pc part,I'll take the other 256mb with me to be used in a spare system later in the states. :p
Saumil you too on legit HL2? :ashamed:

hl2 used to work fine for me for me on 2500 barton 512mb & 9700pro @ 1024 x 768, maxxed out, 2xfsaa. some skipping was there in some areas when they just load etc.

on the 6600gt works perfect on 1600x 1200 res maxxed out with 1gb. when i had 512 ram it used to skip a bit @ 1600 x 1200.

if u upgrade ur ram it wont make that big a diff for u. ull also need a better processor.

& i have tried on both emporio release & the legit hl2. not much diff.

most the updates for hl2 in steam were for css & hl2dm. not any significant updates for hl2.

Chaos said:
Hehe I hope u mean 4xAA,8xAF :). I run it at 1280x960 8xAF on the 9800 pro with everything maxed except water which is at reflect world. Stuttered earlier in the older builds but doesnt stutter any more. Generally the frame rates are in 60-70 range and where there's lots of water, it drops down to around 40.

Edit: Legit version here.
yea, my bad :p

oh and am using a legit copy :)

Will try different drivers.From guru3d it seems 77.72 ain't the best out there.Some people even get BSODs with them.
There was a famous STUTTER-FIX from valve.What about that?
BTW,the CPU aint a Barton its a TBRED-B at 182x11=2ghz with a CBID rating of 2507+.However performance should be a little higher than a stock 2500+ due to 166mhz clock+10% FSB advantage.
Anyways even a 2100+ with 512MB is said to run it well.Something is amiss.
It would be better if all Game developers took a lesson or two from Carmack. ;)

have played only CSS so far.. no stutters.. 939 3000+ at stock, 1gig RAM at stock, 6600GT at stock, 77.72.. was smooth with 66.93 too.. legit

TheMask posted 8.55 minutes later:

undertaker said:
WSomething is amiss.

here's a thot.. sell that 6600GT n get a 9800 Pro.. that shud solve ur problem.. lol..

TheMask posted 3.85 minutes later:

lmao.. check this siggy Supertim0r has at XS -
96427.gif

It happens to people on X800XT cards too.Its not Nvidia specific.A 9800 pro over a 6600GT?Yeah right...
Popping in a bit more of dirt cheap hnynix DDR400 is a far better solution.

Back