How does ISP Peering work? Is it safe?

raman07

Disciple
I have recently noticed that many ISP provide more speed on torrent dl and on some certain websites. Despite the actual plan speed.

c0b1643406.png

Check above plans of an ISP. They provide 50mbps peering speed and 25mbps rest of internet speed.

I understand torrent basic peering structure. In which files are directly download from the user system. who have already downloaded that file and now seeding (uploading) it.

But i don't understand how does ISP peering work?
ISP allow peering speed on many website. i.e : ISP allow peering speed for Google Play, YouTube, dailymotion etc.
How one can allow peering on YouTube? They do not work like torrent.
How ISP is able to provide such high speed for certain website and slow for other?
Please explain.

What my theory right now is. There might be any local server where all the YouTube frequently played video are saved and when any new user request to watch the same video then ISP might redirect them to the local server instead of the YouTube actual server and same for other website such as Google Play. Where apps are stored on local server and send to the user.
Am i right?

Thank You

Above link does not really explain about how ISP peering work.
7efc6a78ec.jpg

They say YouTube, Netflix have their local server in different country by which ISP provide high speed but what about non popular web services? ISP provide peering on small website too. They surely do not have local server but still ISP provide high speed on them. Is it mean that ISP have to pay someone else to store all these data?
Do YouTube video come from local YouTube server or ISP Local Server?
I want solid answer.

Last edited:
Youtube and Netflix have CDN (Content Delivery Networks) all over the world. Basically, they have a server in India and ISP partner up with them to provide higher speeds to consumers. That way ISPs also save a lot on international bandwidth.
Akamai is one of the CDN providers. Small businesses as well as large corporations have partnered with Akamai to enhance consumer experience on their respective sites/services.

Peered Youtube content come from the Google CDN servers whereas peered bittorrent content is stored on Local ISP Server AFAIK.

I have doubt on your theory. CDN are there to provide better connectivity to local user. I am sure CDN does not throttle any ISP speed purposely and no ISP need to pay CDN for deliver content faster. ISP who do not have peered speed also get there data from CDN and they are not fast like other ISP who claim to have peered speed enabled. So i think CDN have nothing to relate with peered speed.
If you are sure about your answer then please explain more.

I am not saying CDN throttle other ISP bandwidth. I have Joister broadband and they have partnered with Akamai. I am on 2Mbps plan but on the sites or services which are Akamai customers like UPlay, PSN, I get much higher speeds.

FB use AKAMAI CDN for image and video hosting AFAIK. So you are able to play FB video without buffering and able to download them with higher speed?

Peering in ISPspeak is two ISPs exchanging data. By tradition, neither pays the other money. This peering is usually done in an internet exchange point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_exchange_point
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering

Many content providers try to bypass paying money to a service provider by becoming service provider themselves. E.g. register as an ISP and request free data exchange with other ISPs. I remember Netflix trying to do this a while ago (much to the annoyance of other 'real' ISPs). Looks like others have caught up by now.[DOUBLEPOST=1475745226][/DOUBLEPOST]Disclaimer: Peering is such a common word, I wouldn't be surprised if advertisers misuse it. What I have explained above is real ISP peering.

Last edited:
If ISP is getting data directly from a CDN, it can provide higher speed as afaik it has a dedicated line of good capacity to the ISP, so it doesn't congest bandwidth. When ISP is normally getting data from a CDN, it needs to get it through its bandwidth provider (such as RCom, TCL) which congests the bandwidth it is buying. I don't know why bw providers(if they are also on peering network) charge same as normal data.

CDN 'peering' (don't know if it's the right term) can be thought of like buying servers : if you need to have a big site, you need to get servers. Next step is to have servers all over the world for content like streaming and for lower latency. Since ISPs are getting these connections, I don't think it is wrong to raise speeds on these sites. If International bw stays the same, peering is essential in near future for media streaming and more sites should have worldwide servers if necessary to prevent monopoly.

Maybe Govt should make it easier? By making exchanges and providing hosting and connection to peering services.

Btw where did you get the image from? Those are exact Excitel plans but don't look from its site.

Back