OC & Modding How effective are Dust filters inside a cabinet ?

How effective are Dust filters inside a cabinet ?

• Very effective

• So-so effective

• As good as no dust filter exists!

• Don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.

nRiTeCh

Skilled

Have you guys experienced any real-life impact like minimal dust to zero-dust inside the cabinet and on the installed components or its just for namesake serving no real advantage in typical Indian dusty conditions/environment.

Share your experiences and vote per your best experiences.

Have you guys experienced any real-life impact like minimal dust to zero-dust inside the cabinet and on the installed components or its just for namesake serving no real advantage in typical Indian dusty conditions/environment.

there is nothing as no dust. but yes. its effective on my corsair d5000...

Any sort of filter is better than no filter...even though it won't completely stop the dust from entering, there should be some percentage of dust being blocked by those filters.

Last edited:
Any sort of filter is better than no filter...even though it won't completely stop the dust from entering, there should some percentage of dust being blocked by those filters.
Yeah, I agree. You need airflow, the fans bring the air in.

A filter on the inlet will work provided you ensure other possible openings for air are properly sealed.

There should be no leaks so you are creating something almost hermetically sealed except for the designated air entry points.

would agree with others. moderately effective. dust accumulates over a period of time, yes, but the sort-of 'dust-cakes' which we find on the surface of the filters when we get down to cleaning our cabinets once in few weeks/months/blue-moon, that itself is telltale.

i was thinking to create a thread on asking advice/discussing about how do people keep their PCs & devices (esp. mech. keyboards too), their PC-room or their whole setup clean or dust-free, with minimal dust-accumulation or/and reqd 'intervention' to clean their equipment every-now-'n-then. guess it could be discussed here as well. recently read somewhere to keep your rooms 'sealed' (ie, windows/doors shut atleast when room's not in use), and i realized that yes, this could/does work. been doing that since past couple of days now and it does appear to me that the dust-accumulation has reduced (esp. evident during the sunny mornings).

At least the dust filter at the bottom of a PSU is effective. PSU remains quite clean because of it. Imo a dust filter cannot be 'very good' otherwise it will restrict airflow too much.

They are helpful. Just that sometimes they can be problematic if your fans don't have a good static pressure, in which case the intake / exhaust efficiency is reduced.

Its a fairly simple answer.

1) If no filters, put a simple exhaust. The cabinet will however be at a lower pressure than the ambient air and a fair amount of dust will be sucked in so be prepared to clean every few months

2) If putting filters, make sure you have more filtered intakes than exhaust (e.g i have 3 intakes for 1 exhaust). The cabinet interior will be at a higher pressure than ambient surrounding (and all the extra air is coming in filtered). So very little to no unfiltered air will come in via the unfiltered vents.
You will still need to clean but the frequency can be much lower

What you don't want to do is add filters - but have more exhaust than intake. it will defeat the purpose of the filters as unfiltered air will continue to be sucked in from other vents apart from the filtered ones

Back