PC Peripherals How fast will 2GB memory be?

^^Before you say that, what system did you test on it? What CPU, what memory, what chipset? Without that your statement is baseless.

techboy said:
xms may not have problem with asus a8n e but value select has if you run two modules

Used pairs of Corsair Value Select with Asus P4p800 Dlx and Asus A8V Dlx, no problems. In fact I had 2x256 Corsair VS and 2 X 256 Crucial on the P4P800 Dlx and was running full speed with PAT enabled.

Just had to tweak the Bios settings and use manual timings instead of SPD.

Not sure about A8N though..,.

Venie/SD still defaults to DDR333/2T, with more than two double sided DIMMs, first-hand experience with my rig here m8, it doesn't default to DDR333 if ur rams on a certain 'qualified' list which is rather small and doesn't include my Infineons or D43s.

Chaos said:
^^Before you say that, what system did you test on it? What CPU, what memory, what chipset? Without that your statement is baseless.

ran it on 3.4 gig machine, 945 chipset, on a pair of Microns ... i suggest sticking to a gig, or add another 512 if you're running low on resources..

i rmmbr CNET or ZDNet having an article on the 1 gig vs 2 gig issue... aint able to find it tho'..

anyway
cheers mate,
Tariq

@Chaos: Then may be it doesn't like different ram modules or may its bcoz u have a DFI, LOL.It will run at DDR400/2T allright but won't necessarily 'default' to it upon first boot w/o manual setting of the dram parameters.

Tariq said:
ran it on 3.4 gig machine, 945 chipset, on a pair of Microns ... i suggest sticking to a gig, or add another 512 if you're running low on resources..

i rmmbr CNET or ZDNet having an article on the 1 gig vs 2 gig issue... aint able to find it tho'..

anyway
cheers mate,
Tariq

LOL if you add another 512 on a 945, you'll lose dual channel. Massive drop in performance. Try running something bandwidth intensive like superpi and u'll know.

@chaos: mate not necessarily, put two 512's on slot 0 and slot 2 (similar ones) and the last non-similar one on slot 1... and you have your dualchannel... and the single ram.. i have ran Maya 7 on the machine, and between 1.5 gig and 2 gig, rendering differences was only half a second...... that would only come as an advantage if you are rendering thousands of frames, but for that purposes i guess you have SGI systems..

and ps.. i am running on 1 g + 512 m sticks.. so dual channel does not interfere with me..

anyway, no harm intended mate, ;)

Tariq

Hi, I have a 1GB ram at 333 MHz and am getting 2 x 1GB ram at 400 MHz. Thought id put off the GFX upgrade till DX10. Are u saying except reduced load times, there will be no increse in performance in intense games like oblivion, fear,etc. now and in games released in future? if so, then i dont think its worth putting money into. And also how are rams from Hyundai?

^ It depends on what you define as "performance". If you're looking for pure FPS increase, that wont happen.

The areas that will show improvement:

- reduced load times

- no stuttering/choppy gameplay (this in a way is indirectly related to FPS as your FPS is maintained at a smooth rate and does not have sharp dips during heavy scenes)

RAM helps in todays games.... i used to get stuttering earlier with 512 mb of ram on games..but with 1.5gb its all smoothened out..so aboviosuly 2 gb ram = smooth gameplay..i dont think there is anyway games like crysis can be played smoothly with high details without 2 gb RAM

Well, smoothed out games is worth it for me. Especially in oblivion where the environment is always being redrawn and areas are apparently being loaded.

Back