Graphic Cards How feasible is it to run a GTX280 with a VX450

sarang

Skilled
Getting a GTX280 from a good friend. It'll serve as a stop-gap arrangement till I get a decent enough card (6950/6970 or better). I have ordered a Seasonic S12-D 850 and was supposed to get it on Friday, unfortunately it is delayed and now it'll be delivered on Wednesday.

Now I am without a card and the only card at my disposal is the GTX280. I dared not put it in my machine for fear of frying things. The specs on the card mention the max power draw at 236 Watt.

Can I use the card for a 3-4 days with the VX450 with the first config in my sig? Will not be gaming or pushing the card at all, and as usual strictly no OC involved. Only stuff happening on the rig in this period will be browsing, MS-Office, and a bit of coding.

i tried to run a zotac gtx 280,on the system in my config.when loaded a game,it ran for a few seconds,the pc powered off.the first thing i did was to fire off a game after i installed the card,so dont know if it would have run idle.

Try it out, cant hurt. Most PSU's have overload protection. Also remove all unnecessary peripherals first though.

I have my friends PC running a 4870+Q8200+HDD+DVDRW+Mobo+1/2 fans on a Seasonic 380W. Now according to Power Consumption : Radeon HD 4870: Better Than GTX 260!, the difference in power consumption should be at max 20W. Which your VX450 should be able to handle, if it can match up to its specs.

Have been using 8800GTX on Corsair 450VX with processor E6750 overclocked to 3.2Ghz for 3 years.

core2duo E6750 (at 3.2Ghz. Stock is 2.66Ghz)

ASUS P5N-E SLI

G.Skill 2GB RAM @ 800Mhz

8800GTX

2*HDD's + 1*DVDRW

Creative Audigy 2ZS sound card

3* Thermaltake Thunderblade 120mm Fans

1*AMIGO 120mm fan

3*80mm Fans

You should be able to run it at idle clocks without frying any of the parts. Like mentioned earlier, there'll be OVP to take care. The system will just shut down if there's too much draw.

Thanks for all the help guys. I am too much of a "Tin Foil Hat" guy to risk it after reading all the comments. Sunday is already passing and its barely 3 days after this. Will use the laptop till then :)

tazzi said:
You need 40A on the 12v rail for a GTX 280. VX 450 has 33A. So i think you must wait for S12-D 850

See here:

2h4f8mu.png

Even the GTX 295 (which is considered 70% more power hungry than a GTX280), with i7 config doesnt consume 40A when benchmarked to hell.

IMO, Op's system power consumption (GTX 280 with i5) should be somewhat close to the following configuration:

2133nmd.png

The max peak being 370w at the wall outlet (i.e. Less than 340w being drawn from the PSU). The PSU here in question is the VX450, which has been considered under-rated by many reviewers. It has been known to take up to 571w and still not shut down.

So, even if the OP is stressing the CPU + GPU in a typical scenario, his system power consumption wouldn't spike above 350w. This is equivalent to 77% load of VX450's rated wattage.

In short, the system should do fine. But overclocking the CPU or GPU won't be recommended.

Source for data tables:

PC Power Consumption: How Many Watts Do We Need?. Page 8 - X-bit labs

Back