How good are the certifications?

I'm currently pursuing Masters degree. Meanwhile I'm also planning to do certification courses like Java, Microsoft, Red hat certifications. However, many people have told me that it does not hold that much value when applying at big organisations. Is it really true? What is the real scenario?

Inputs from experienced people will be most appreciated. :)

I am in the Java field, and take a lot of interviews. Call it irony or sad state of affairs, none of the SCJP tagged resumes have been able to clear my interviews. Folks don't seem to know even basics in most cases. Certifications - atleast the SCJP - doesn't seem to hold or add any value to the person getting it. That's just my opinion. I know a lot of SCJP 100% scorers with zero understanding of the language, struggling to speak with conviction even when discussing stuff as to whether Java passes by value or by reference.

Disclaimer: I haven't taken any certifications for anything ever.

rightly said, interview doesn't put stars on you for certifications, They do based on the answers you give at that time. Believe me SCJP is for guys without any proper technical degree.

I agree, your practical knowledge carries a lot more weightage than these certifications. Sometimes I wonder if it is money-making business for these companies..

Back