CPU/Mobo How good is the ECS KN1 for overclocking

Told you about that na :bleh:

That board p4wns the A8N-E, with great overclocking and nifty features ! Great to complement your Opty :D

Welll... There is an interesting story behind board pricing... My delaer told me he had some ECS board which i might like as i was searching for asrock 939 dual sata 2... He showed it to me... I asked for price... He called up distri and asked the price.... The distri quoted 4.5K... I bargained and got it down to 4.2K... I paid and just when i was about to leave(Thinking i just looted the guy)... The distri called up dealer agin... Told him he quoted wrong price... Board is for 7K + taxes... he dealer requested me to return the board and i promptly did as it was an honest mistake... But the dealer being a good frined on mine called up distri and scolded him on giving the wrong pricing and told him that the customer has paid and he is not returning... The distri told the delaer to give me a new price lower then 7K but above 4.2K as he wanted to make a good customer.... The final price i got was like 5.5K... But for the same price is ASUS A8N E... Now there is the story... DUE to warrennty issues i have picked up ASUS but have told my delaer that i might return ASUS and pick up ECS and he has no probs with that...

So there you go... Advise me now...

Switch...you are one lucky #$#$%$%$#% (just joking.. :) )... but i'll still suggest u to keep the A8n-e..as its performance is quiet good..moreover its really satisfying to know that u have a cool 3 yr warranty as a backup, shud anything go wrong...i've got a P4p800 delux and though it never ever caused a hangup or a reboot, i'm happy its still under warranty(after 2 yrs..!!)..

i would say go for this board, coz it performs better and ofcource u wont get the price u bought it for when u sell it again ;)

BIOS implementation: As we mentioned on the BIOS layout page, the KN1 Extreme’s BIOS provides just enough settings for overclocking to get your feet wet, but in some cases, not enough to really explore what your system’s components can do. For instance, CPU multiplier adjustment is missing entirely, while bus speeds provided are a little scant, and in the higher bus settings, the increments are too high. Ideally the KN1 Extreme BIOS would provide settings up to 350MHz or more in 1MHz increments. The BIOS also lacks the 1T Command Rate setting, as well as voltage adjustment for the system chipset.

Hopefully ECS can address some of these points in a future BIOS update.

WTF!!! Go for the A8N-E dude. Unless you feel the need for the extra SATA ports opr the Wi-Fi. For overclocking, I think the A8N-E is better

Well it depends what u gonna do with it. If u want to join the 3ghz club with that opty(though im not sure ur stepping will allow u 2) then i wouldnt recomend either of the two.:)
However if u only want to decide between these two boards then definately the ecs.:)

well personally i would like to kick the guy in butt who has opty and is putting it in the ECS or A8N-E :p

well lack of CPU multiplier is critical many times. The motherboard maybe good overclocker. But you need to remember that many times the overclocking experience of the review sites depends largely on the components you use.

Sure with good RAM it will do good. But will it overclock well with our standard transcend RAM or Twinmos or Hynix?

I have a doubt there. None of these boards have extensive memory options, so you are limited by memory. Say you use the dividers. The problem is even with DDR333 divider and limited memory option your CPU overclock becomes restricted to say 280-290HTT. Not all ram wotk with DDR266/200 dividers on all boards.

When you buy opteron and plan to oc it you need good quality board with it.

Out of these two i will still give ECS 1 point above the A8N-E simply bcoz of the larger vcore.

I still think none of the two boards are ideal for Opty. I have stong doubts if it will let you oc Opty to its limits or even close. A8N-E has better bios options of the two, ECS has better vcore if needed. Its kinda mixed bag. None of the two boards are ideal. If your CPU is good A8N-E will give better results. If your CPU needs more vcore then ECS will do better. Its a coin toss unless you have ways to test your Opty first and its ability to overclock. If you know someone in Delhi or noida with DFI who will allow you to test that CPU on the DFI then do that first, see how your opty reacts to vcore and then decide the board.

well even A8N SLI is limited to the 1.55v vcore.

Thats exactly what i want you to test. Is it ocing to its max limits at 1.55v or it needs more. If it needs more then go for ECS if not then A8N-E will be better choice.

Well I don't intend he thinks to use the Opty on the KN1, he's using it on the A8N SLi, and he doesn't have the guts to put in more than 1.5 volts :p

OT : Funky, flashed to 1017 on A8V Deluxe, and its damn stable, now lets see if the monster it recognised :D

Nikhil said:
So..... you are the third person to get the Opty with Switch and Sunny..... Nice!!!!

Wish you had a better mobo now eh??
Yesss !! Hopefully some RAM is on the way, but yeah the A8V isn't bad only limited to 300HTT. But I'm looking for stability rather than an extreme OC...

Back