How is Asus RT-N18U router for home WiFi network + Foscam wireless IP camera control

sydras

Skilled
Folks, I need to setup a home WiFi network for the main purpose of controlling a Foscam 9821P wireless IP camera for baby monitoring and viewing recorded video every evening.

I have a fixed line broadband connection from Airtel and access it using a Beetel 220BX ASDL2 modem.

In order to achieve WiFi within my home, I plan to purchase an Asus RT-N18U wireless router (without ADSL modem capability) and connect the WAN port to the LAN port of my Beetel 220BX modem.

However, I have a concern w.r.t. accessing router from my PC. The ethernet port on my motherboard does NOT work. Currently, the Beetel 220BX modem is connected to my PC via USB cable. If I cannot connect one of the LAN ports from the router to the ethernet port of my PC, could I access the router from my PC via the USB port on the router?

Also, is the Asus RT-N18U router a good choice v/s other options in a budget of say 4-7K?
Specifications on FlipKart indicate the RT-N18U to be a 2.4Ghz N600 router.

W.r.t options in my budget that I'd checked, the
i> Asus RT-N12HP is listed as a an N300 AP/Range Extender which probably won't serve my purpose as I suppose I require a router to create a home WiFi network and
ii> the Asus RT-N14UHP is listed as an N300 router/ AP/Range Extender without modem which seems ok for my purpose but the Foscam distributor recommended that I choose an N600 wireless router.

The options beyond my 4-7K budget include
iii> the Asus DSL-N55U which is a 5Ghz N600 wireless router with ADSL modem which would require me to replace my 220BX modem which I would like to avoid and
iv> the Asus RT-N66U which is a 2.4Ghz dual band N900 wireless router which would possibly serve me better that the RT-N18U but I'm not sure if the additional 4K premium to be paid for N900 over N600 would be worth it.

I haven't looked at routers from other brands currently but I'm open to other brands if I receive positive user experiences from TE users. Also, a home WiFi setup is new to me so your questions/comments/suggestions would be very welcome.

Edit: I am looking for routers with an external antennas. I've read that they are superior to routers with an internal antenna.

Last edited:
Back