How is the Acer 5542G ?

Supra

Skilled
Well need to get a good balanced multimedia laptop for a a friend?

How is this deal ?

eBay India: Acer Aspire 5542G AMD Turin 4/500GB WIN 7 LED HDMI (item 280508850910 end time 28-May-2010 19:32:51 IST)

Acer Aspire 5542G AMD Turin 4/500GB WIN 7 LED HDMI

Seems its having a 1GB HD 5470 Video card. Also a Targus laptop backpack is bundled for free. Looks a good deal to me. Also the LED 15.6" display seems to have 200 nits brightness. Comes with SPDIF Optical out, fingerprint reader, Synaptics multi touchpad, latest 45nm Turion II Tigris Platform based.

Anyone bought this one or seen it somewhere?
Plz pour in your suggestions.

@ Supra: As you are based in Bangalore, you should be fine with Turion based lappies as they run hotter than the intel ones. Also the battery life will be lower. I had an Acer Turion based lappy before and when I had bought one they were as good performers as intel proccy's.

Supra : This one is the older Puma offering IINM, better off with Danube platform featuring Athlon II or Turion II (45nm) or any Corei3 based lappy.

The PUMA platform was a setback and was plagued by battery and heating issue, rather look for Danube with the Vision logo or get any Core i3 based lappy.

Screenshot.png

^^ This is the Tigris platform afaik as the CPU is 45nm and the chipset used is RS880M. The new Turion II based laptops as mentioned will be mainly used for ultraportables for the starting at least and that also will be available only from July I guess.

Tigris Platform Link: (announced in late 2009, available from Jan 2010 or so worldwide )

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/17567

Puma platform was based on 65nm Athlons (RM-70 etc) with 780G chipset and was horrible :p

Also check this interesting link below :p.....the AMD Turion II M500 (2.2Ghz) is as fast as the Core 2 Duo T6600 !

http://optimitza.cat/news/2009/10/22/amd-turion-ii-m500-performance-it-scores-5-7-in-wei-windows-7/

Me too in a search of this kind of config lappys...but is this AMD Turion good for casual gaming like NFS MW, Call of dutty 4(old one)...and as motorheadinc said they run hotter than even intel....

^^ Lol of course if the TDP thing is making a sense to you, it runns hotter than both Core i3 as well as Core 2 Duo in TDP/ACP terms. But all depends on the cooling solution implemented by the vendor. The Acer 5542G runs just warm while gaming according to reviews on the web and thats more because of the dedicated HD 4570. For causing browsing and home stuff...its runs quite cool :)

vantheman5211 said:
me lookin for this.so overall is this a good lappy for gaming and watchin movies?

yup it good but as supra said if you got good cooling solution its good for gaming else for DVDrip movies or 720pHD movies and browsing its great.:)

This is a good deal. I bought this model Acer 5542G in december 2009 for Rs.33000. But that time it came with AMD Turion II M500 Processor, 3 GB DDr2 Ram, ATI HD4570 card, Crystal Eye Webcam, Fingerprint reader, 15.6" LED display and 320GB HDD. Check the specification and if it's as mentioned in Ebay then it is a good buy. Initially i got around 2 hours and 45 minutes with wifi off. With wifi on it comes to around 2 hours 15 minutes and for games it comes around 1 hour 30 minutes all with around 70% display brighness.

One problem i have encountered is with the touchpad as the synaptics touchpad driver enhancements are not working with win7 64 bit.

Ok finally got the Acer 5542G for my friend :) from the ebay dealer. Just got my hands to it and its kick ass for the price :)...will post some pics and observations soon :)

It does come with 2.3Ghz M520 CPU, 802.11 b/g/n Atheros WLAN, HDMI 1.3 , ATI HD 5650 1GB DDR3 Dedicated, Synaptics Touch Pad with Multitouch gesture support.

Btw anyone has idea is Acer is still bundling a Tata Photon + for Rs 750 with usage worth Rs 750 free for 2 mnths ?

Supra said:
Ok finally got the Acer 5542G for my friend :) from the ebay dealer. Just got my hands to it and its kick ass for the price :)...will post some pics and observations soon :)

It does come with 2.3Ghz M520 CPU, 802.11 b/g/n Atheros WLAN, HDMI 1.3 , ATI HD 5650 1GB DDR3 Dedicated, Synaptics Touch Pad with Multitouch gesture support.

Btw anyone has idea is Acer is still bundling a Tata Photon + for Rs 750 with usage worth Rs 750 free for 2 mnths ?
Plz do a short review if possible :)

Did you buy it for ~35k from ebay or bought it outside ebay? Final cost?

Final cost was RS 33190 shipped with all taxes included. Carry bag free. Also 160GB HDD free as part of ebay deal :)

I am sure this will blow out of water even the Dell Core i5 range Studio 14 laptops costing almost 50k in gaming

Supra said:
Final cost was RS 33190 shipped with all taxes included. Carry bag free. Also 160GB HDD free as part of ebay deal :)
I am sure this will blow out of water even the Dell Core i5 range Studio 14 laptops costing almost 50k in gaming

Thats a great price :D Expecting a short review :)
RS4 said:
well,thats 2.3 ghz dual core cpu+ ATI 5650 gpu+HDMI out+laptop bag+ free 160 gb hard disk for just 33k:O
you got an amazing deal :clap:
but still the cpu will be a huge bottleneck for that awesome ATI card, check out the link for the CPU:

Notebookcheck: AMD Turion II M520 Notebook Processor
Not really the performance of M520 is equal to say T4200 according to the link. The mobile HD5650 has less performace than a desktop HD5570. So the processor shouldnt be that much of a bottleneck. If the AMD heating issues have been resolved in the tigris platform then probably even i would go the AMD way for my next laptop :D

Supra said:

Pls post a review on this Laptop after reading this deal its my top choice. But are you sure that this processor is better than an i3/i5.. And are the cooling problems resolved ?

Back