How is the Ainol Aurora II tablet?

zhopudey

Skilled
I was browsing thru the various chinese tablets, and thought the Aurora II to be a good deal. It has an Amlogic cortex A9 dual core, dual mali 400, and a LG IPS screen for under 12k. But I can't find any detailed reviews for this tab.
Firstly, how is the build quality? Is it good enough for our daily grind? And how is the android experience? How does this compare to say - a Galaxy Tab 2.0? Does the play store work properly? Are all apps supported? What about stability, battery life, etc? Which 3G dongles would work on this? Any chance at all of a JB update? Any better option in this price range? Is there a limit to question marks used in a post? What other questions am I missing?

Me too looking to get this tablet...

AFAIK Ainol products are gaining popularity...
the only thing im worried about ,is their longevity...will it last for 2-3 years

I was browsing thru the various chinese tablets, and thought the Aurora II to be a good deal. It has an Amlogic cortex A9 dual core, dual mali 400, and a LG IPS screen for under 12k. But I can't find any detailed reviews for this tab.
Firstly, how is the build quality? Is it good enough for our daily grind? And how is the android experience? How does this compare to say - a Galaxy Tab 2.0? Does the play store work properly? Are all apps supported? What about stability, battery life, etc? Which 3G dongles would work on this? Any chance at all of a JB update? Any better option in this price range? Is there a limit to question marks used in a post? What other questions am I missing?

Hi,

I bought an Aurora 2 from Mp4nation around a month ago for $149.50 (around 8.6k after conversion). I paid through SBI Visa card, and the tablet was delivered to me in 2 days (no kidding) by FedEx from HongKong.

I'll try to answer your queries one by one:

The build quality is very good for such a cheap tablet. It feels solid in hand, and the plastic, although glossy, doesn't look cheap. The bezel around the screen is uniform, unlike the Nexus Tab. The buttons on the side (Unlock, Vol+-, and Home) feel a bit rattling, but have good response.

The screen, being an LG IPS of 1024*600 resolution, is very good with natural colors and excellent viewing angles. It is a pleasure to watch photos and video on this thing.

The android experience is as good as you can expect from such a powerful device. It beats many high end phones in benchmarks, including the Galaxy Note and Galaxy S2. I will post screenshots if required.
I ran a 17GB MKV file from my external HDD (using USB OTG) and it played without any problems. Seeking was also very smooth.

On default ROM, the Play Store doesn't work as it doesn't recognise the device. However, after installing a Custom ROM, this issue is resolved, and so far, I have not faced any problems with any apps.

Regarding heating, it gets a little warm, but nothing uncomfortable or on the verge of overheating. I am currently on a custom ROM (Double Stuff V24) and it runs very very stable.

Ainol has confirmed that it will get the JB update, and anyways, there is already a JB Custom ROM available for it, with more on the way.

Wi-fi seems a bit flaky though. Some people have faced issues related to this. However, works fine for me in my 3BHK apartment with my router in the middle of the house.

The touch response is another thing where some people complain. There is a 19px border on all the sides which doesn't respond to touches, but doesn't hinder productivity at all.

3G dongles do work on this tablet, however I have not tested it personally. Ainol has a list of dongles officially supported, and I was able to find some dongles on eBay from the list.

For the price that I paid for this tablet (8.6k) I couldn't have been more satisfied with it. I use it all the time, and would recommended to someone who can tweak it to perform at its optimum. It is not for an average joe totally unfamiliar with poking into the system though, as it does require a little bit of tweaking to get the desired response from the tablet.

If anyone would like to ask anything else, I would be glad to answer.

aniket : I am also using the V24 ROM.
I have the Battery Bug Issue.Battery stuck at 100 %.
Waiting for the JB.
But no Touch and Wifi Issues.
It is Worth the Money.
I can play all the latest games with this Tab.(NOVA 3,Spiderman.GTA III,Asphalt 7 ......)

Hi,

I bought an Aurora 2 from Mp4nation around a month ago for $149.50 (around 8.6k after conversion). I paid through SBI Visa card, and the tablet was delivered to me in 2 days (no kidding) by FedEx from HongKong.
The screen, being an LG IPS of 1024*600 resolution, is very good with natural colors and excellent viewing angles. It is a pleasure to watch photos and video on this thing.
If anyone would like to ask anything else, I would be glad to answer.
Can you compare the IPS display with a good quality TFT screen . I was getting a good deal on Acer A500 so wanted to compare . Keeping in view the price difference that Ainol Fire will be 1/3 cheaper than A500 which has good quality screen . Screen difference size is there but i was trying too compare screen quality only . Rest generally are same and if a Chinese electronics is able to last one month then it will last for long . Is giving 5k more for A500 worth than Ainol ? Thats my second question based on your answer of first
thanks

now, you can get Ainol Aura for around 95$ with free fedex shipping from mp4nation. I just ordered one.

Ummm... I just checked Mp4nation's site, and the price quoted there is $169.50. Also, did you order Aurora I or II?

- - - Updated - - -

aniket : I am also using the V24 ROM.
I have the Battery Bug Issue.Battery stuck at 100 %.
Waiting for the JB.
But no Touch and Wifi Issues.
It is Worth the Money.
I can play all the latest games with this Tab.(NOVA 3,Spiderman.GTA III,Asphalt 7 ......)

Great!

I faced this battery thing only once, way back when I tried the Double Stuff ROM for the first time, and never since then.

- - - Updated - - -

aniket.cain you didn't get charged any duty on this?

No. They had marked the box as headphones worth 20$, so no customs or anything. I had bought a Brainwavz M3 and a Fiio E5 from them earlier, and never had problems with custom.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you compare the IPS display with a good quality TFT screen . I was getting a good deal on Acer A500 so wanted to compare . Keeping in view the price difference that Ainol Fire will be 1/3 cheaper than A500 which has good quality screen . Screen difference size is there but i was trying too compare screen quality only . Rest generally are same and if a Chinese electronics is able to last one month then it will last for long . Is giving 5k more for A500 worth than Ainol ? Thats my second question based on your answer of first
thanks

The display is really good, except for the blacks are not that deep, with minor visible bleeding from an edge (that will vary from model to model). Colors are very well produced, and the viewing angles are excellent. I will borrow something to compare it to from a friend, and will then post what I think of it.

Well, I can't say if this will last or not, and I wont recommend it to anyone who is not willing to risk it.

I bought this thing just to try out a tablet to see if I would use one daily. However, having played with it in the past 1 month, I have grown very fond of it. It can easily hold its fort against the big boys, and at such a great price!

+1 to observer, i bought ainol elf 2 from ainol india through ebay, i got the product in 3 days and it was all smooth, and i am pretty impressed by the build quality and the actual product itself, and they included a charger itself which is a major issue if u buy it from else where usually other guys do not include that in package, i know it through the reserch i did on the internet i was cosidering mp4nation but then i found the indian store and viola brand new elf 2 with indian support \m/

Hey Me too now Interested in Novo 7 fire ^_^

@aniket.cain : please share info with us.

and can we visit them and buy directly for them ????

as they are there from vileparle mumbai :D

Back