Audio How logical is the idea of using a Z5500 as a active subwoofer

gigy

Disciple
Hi all,
How good or bad is the idea of using a z5500 as active subwoofer in a 7.1 setup along with a av receiver. i have a z5500 about to be sold of to my neighbor but as i was looking for active subwoofer i got this idea since its anyways selling for 10k.

no replies till now? my be i have to do a review to find out

Opps sorry to find this thread so late.
Anyways i think it is a perfectly good idea.After all thats the only thing good in find in Z5500 speakers.
However you need to take few things in to consideration.
Set the crossover frequency to 80 in AVR. Then keep experimenting till the Sub mixes and gels with rest of the speaker system.
I had one custom made Pioneer Sub and tried to used them with DSE 5.1 Speakers but they were never in sync.The Pioneer was always out of sync with other no matter what.
So this is what i did.
Set the subwoofer volume to 1.3rd and crossover all the way to max and then did auto calibration of AVR.
Later the AVR choose 90 as cut over freq in auto setup.But when i manually set it to 80 things looked far promising.
See how it goes. You know the best part. Z5500 Subs are rated at 8 ohm ,pretty perfect thing to match with AVR.
Best luck and please let us know the results.

Thanks for the support, will post results once done, i just could not let my z5500 part ways but wanted it to be used in new setup. for a price of 9-10k i am not going to get a sub like it. hope it gets in sync soon.

Back