Audio How long do earphones last ?

I was wondering how long does an earphone maintain its clarity and sound quality before the sound becomes muddy.
I previously had the EP-630 and didn't even realize how horrible it sounded once I got hold of my Sennheiser CX-400!
Now its been more than a year and the CX-400 is still, apparently, going strong. But I wonder how long it will still sound good.

Anyway to figure out a change is due even if you do not try out any other earphones?

chic_magnet said:
I was wondering how long does an earphone maintain its clarity and sound quality before the sound becomes muddy.

I previously had the EP-630 and didn't even realize how horrible it sounded once I got hold of my Sennheiser CX-400!

Now its been more than a year and the CX-400 is still, apparently, going strong. But I wonder how long it will still sound good.

Anyway to figure out a change is due even if you do not try out any other earphones?

EP-630 will sound muddy as compared to sennheiser CX400 anytime. And will sound more muddy specially if they a brand new (Out of the box earphones require burn-in)

Earphones never die out...... Infact they go better and better.

Though, the cords can get weak by rugged use. Checking build quality at the time of purchase helps alot here.

Me n my friend purchased Panasonic earphones 5 years ago.

panasonicrphv288navyblu.jpg

His ones are still going strong and so would have been my ones , only if someone hadnt stolen mine 4 years ago:(

Chicu, I've my EP630s still going strong after 2 years of usage. It was sourced through gauravt's GO - one of the very first GOs initiated for the EP630s. Depends on the usage IMO. :p

I dont have a reason to splurge on better IEMs. :(

Gannu said:
Chicu, I've my EP630s still going strong after 2 years of usage. It was sourced through gauravt's GO - one of the very first GOs initiated for the EP630s. Depends on the usage IMO. :p

Same in my case too.

Gannu said:

Yup mine too from same GO. Still going good. It depends on usage and handling.

I purchased Sony Earphones for Rs 400. They are around 3-4 Years old. I have replaced the wire once and the plug once, so they are still working. Most earphones though die in an year or so.

usually their wires are literally the weak link. I've got a pair of ye old headphones which belong to dad , and are older than I am, and which work purrfectly :p

I guess going from one earphone to another (presumably a better one) does make the previous IEM unusable especially if you end up liking the new one!

And ya my issue with the sennhieser is the wires..the rubber covering is out and I can clearly see the copper wires! Dunno how long they will last!

Paired it with the FiiO E3, and I think all it does it provide a major bass boost. Sound clarity remains the same me thinks! Not sure if the Soundstage does broaden (pls correct if using wrong terminology) a bit :S..

Anyways, So I guess, IEMs depend on a user's perception more than anything else! Sound clarity could still be good but if I percieve some other IEM to be better than mine then mostly it will sound good to me? right?

I have used both and IMO its how we use them, i don't think they have perticular lifetime and in earphones the only problem can be of cables and contacts but the actual earphones never get screwed.

the only thing that weakens is the wires, which depends on your usage. if you are the careless types and go yanking the cord every time, it wont last long. if you take care to handle the wires delicately, the earphones could even last a lifetime.

In last 2 years i have Purchased 2 EP-630 and replaced both of them. Means 4 pairs of EP-630. So its average life is just 6 months for me. I dont know how people take care of earphones. I dont use any amplifier so over volume is out of question. And i do take care of them from dust as well. So its build quality is bad. Now i am ended up buying Sennheiser HD595(headphones), lets see how long will they run. Though i believe good brands like Sennheiser, Shure etc can run for long time. They all comes with 2 year warranty as well.

mention what went wrong exactly with your ep 630s.

I bought a pair through gauravt's GO & using since mar 2007 almost daily for 3-4 hrs both home & travelling & they r still up n running, except they are white so they turned dirty black now and i need to clean them every 15 days or so.

Answer is it totally depends on the usage , here's my IEM saga.

My first EP-630(bought from Gaurav's GO) gave problems after 8-10 months. Volume went low in one ear piece.

The replacement that I got,gave it to a cousin who is still using it

I also got another EP-630 for me later on which gave up in 6-7 months with the same problem of one ear piece volume going down. Tried for replacement but then Cyberstar had reduced warranty to only 6 months so couldn't get the RMA done :(.

Got my self a PL-30 then ..and at same time came to know that the ear piece problem on EP-630 was very common and had a easy fix (slightly pulling out the mesh ). Fixed the EP-630 and gave it to another friend.

Mean while got bored of the PL-30 or maybe you can say was tempted by the RE-2 and got RE-2.Even my RE-2 cable started giving minor problems and sent them for RMA. new one's have been shipped from China ,should be here soon :D.

and this time I plan to take a lot of care of these babies so that they last atleast 2-3 years.My usage is actually a bit rugged, I use them in Mumbai locals,college, home and at times even gym :p.

thinking of getting a soundmagic PL-12 as a backup earphones for rough use. It costs only 500 bucks and kicks the EP-630's butt any day.I am using one which Ive borrowed from a friend ,BF1983. Might just write a mini review so that people know about the new EP-630 killer for the budget buyers.

viralbug said:
the only thing that weakens is the wires, which depends on your usage. if you are the careless types and go yanking the cord every time, it wont last long. if you take care to handle the wires delicately, the earphones could even last a lifetime.

^^ righto... you hit the nail on the head :hap2:

My EP-630 died within 14 months of its purchase ( left channel died no sound at all )
bought another EP-630 gave to my sis as gift now looking 4r something relaible
confused bwt sound magic PL-30 and Sony MDR-EX32LP.

Back