Graphic Cards How long does a GPU last...

but then the price will also be very high. the 512MB XL costs 500$. That is the same cost as an X850 XT PE.

Why would anyone go for the XL????I have no idea......

6600/6800gt's should last 2 years easily with 1280x1024, medium to high details and moderate antialiasing.

Most games are going to be using the doom3 or source engine, we won't see ue3 powered games till late 2006 or early 2007.
Even those will be playable (no matter how farfetched this sounds) once some of the advanced lighting features are switched off without the game looking too ugly.
I know this from experience, always running 2 year old hardware.

Game developers aren't stupid to develop solely for the high-end gpu's.
My 8500 could run farcry at a decent 35-40fps outdoors at 1280x960(!), medium details, 0x aa, 8x af.

What you say is very true....... but when you talk abt running a game at a decent resolution and AA and AF pushed up to max(or very close to it), a graphics card lasts or probably abt 2 yrs.

But if you reduce the effects and stuff, then obviously the life increases......... And the 6xxx series are the most recent. So obviously, they will last for another 1-2 yrs without being hit too hard while playing lastest games......

personally it differs from person to person....
if gameplay matter more than graphic then for sure your rig which ever it is would last longer then what the average would be i guess..
my mx440 se lasted for 4 years... welll.....until i coaxed my mom into getting me the below rig.. hmmm...
but then i really feel those who buy a high end rig kinda get more addicted to it.. everything looks so good so awesome so beautiful and then you do`nt wanna play at settings below the highest supported by the game... my friend got a 9800 xt and its not even been a year and he`ss already got plans on upgrading the damn card in a couple of months !!!!!!
me too got a 6600gt and currently all games installed on my rig can be played at the highest settings!!!! wooohoooo... damn i dunno what `ill do a year down the line :bleh: cause me tooo totally intoxicated by the graphics!! (you can imagine after i upgraded from the MX440se)
!!!!

anishcool said:
Having just bought a 6 series GPU I was quite upset about the 7 series so soon :(

So guys how long will this GPU actually last me ? The 5 series seems to be wiped out already and the 5950 Ultra can barely manage to play the latest games like SC : CT and Doom 3.

So like how many years before I will have to either lower the AA, AF or lower the resolutions to get decent FPS ?
Dude u bought it over an year after release anyway. ;)

Aces170 said:
Fx 5950 was a hopeless card, but it runs Doom 3 well enough. Geforce 6800 will last you atleast 2 years in 1024*768 resolution, only exception to this rule was radeon 9700 pro which is a 3 yr old tech and yet plays most of the games with AA, best card made ever.

it was the first gaming card to come out with 256bit memory at that time

Hey Guyz,,,,

So with all the talk going abt the series and how long they last.....I was juz wondering how long will I be able keep using my Asus V9520 Magic GeForcs FX 5200 128 Mb card ?

And the BIGGER Question ? How long are the graphic cards gonna run HOTT ? I have heard sumthing abt PPU's ....

They supposedly are called Physical Processin Units.....Used for proceesin the stuffs related Physics,,,,,,,,yup our ver own PHYSICS.....

Ne ideas ?

Cheerz

the 5200 is DEAD. It is only slightly better than the 440MX. The moment support for geforce 4 MX is stopped, 5200 will also die. Then I doubt if even 5700 will stay. Thw 5900 may still remain as it was the top end card at that time.

And cards will start running slightly cooler(I think). Mainly coz nVidia and ATi are both shifting to 110nm production process. Then they will shift to 90nm

Hey

Tnx for tht ....

So everyone from PRC manu's to gPU manu's are going for Nano tech ? Even the Gpu manu's going for 90nm ? Wowo......
So waz the gud thing abt gettin smaller and smaller ?

Cheerz

Yup,the 5700 and the 9600 series are their wits end(the 5700 more so),with their obsolete 4x1 marchitectures and narrow 128-bit bus,they will soon cease to be any good for gaming but will continue to sell here for high prices. :p
The 5200 was still-born. :rofl:
Even the 6600 non-gt/6200(nv43l) may have serious trouble with games 3-6 months down the line.Already games like SC:CT are pushing the envelope.

@uknowme007 ------ It is cheaper and gives out lesser heat. But of course, this is not assured(look at the Intel Prescotts).

And mass producing these type of chips will give better profits to ATi and nVidia....

Last edited by a moderator:
chic_magnet said:
but then i really feel those who buy a high end rig kinda get more addicted to it.. everything looks so good so awesome so beautiful and then you do`nt wanna play at settings below the highest supported by the game...

Exactly, that's what I am saying. After buying a high-end rig, you don't feel like moving the detail level and resolution down... You feel cheated after paying so much you still can't play the game with all the eye-candy turned on.

undertaker said:
PC-Gaming is a demanding b**ch-always drains ur money down the drain.

Very true man, very very true...

Hey Buddies,

So I guess I have reason not to be sad....hehe...

DO ne of U know how much heat the Fx 5200 series gives out ? My doesnt have a fan or a heat sensor....

Ne one ?

Tnx

Not much would be my guess...... they are among the slowest cards today, that is why.....

Nikhil posted 0.55 minutes later:

But it doesn't have a fan??? That is surprising...... my old 440MX had a chipset fan...... nothing for the RAMs though....

hmm hey can anyone tell me how long the 5200 last?? i really wanna know as i have a lot of my friends who have this card.. ................so i can shock them :bleh:

Hey @ Undertaker....

Sorry man...I thot askin here cud be better than new thread...If u say I .....I can start a new thread.....Sorry m8...

@Nikhil....even i think they are the slowest mate.....My money hard earned is a total waste...

Tnx all ...

Last edited by a moderator:
FX 5200 when it was introduced was the most horrible card available. But at present in India at the price its available it can be termed as decent. But Nvidia shouldnt have discontinued the ti 4200 atleast.

Only the 5900 and 5700 were decent cards in the fx range.The original 5800 wasn't too shabby either if it had come out with proper drivers and a better cooling solution.
The 5200 and 5600 sucked big time.
The AGP 6200 being peddled here isn't too better either as it has a 64-bit bus ,too narrow for any decent gaming.
No point in getting anything less than 6600GT now.

Back