How many OS did you boot from 1 machine ?

Some questions!

Where are you located?
What ISP do you use and your plan speed?
What openSUSE tumbleweed package mirrors do you use?

I also want to run tumbleweed but typically face slow download speeds due to poor mirror selections/speeds (lack of any in india last I saw) so stopped using it.
- In South India, about 500 km away from Hyderabad
- Airtel Broadband - 200Mbps (although I used to be on the 100Mbps plan until a few months ago)
- I use the default "download.opensuse.org" and it takes care of finding the fastest mirror available.

Anyway, these are the repos I use.
Screenshot_20220211_100416.png

I've been using Tumbleweed only for a year and I had the downloads slowing down problem just once or twice IIRC.

They now have a mirror in India and one in Bangladesh. So, I guess you shouldn't face any trouble now.

- In South India, about 500 km away from Hyderabad
- Airtel Broadband - 200Mbps (although I used to be on the 100Mbps plan until a few months ago)
- I use the default "download.opensuse.org" and it takes care of finding the fastest mirror available.

Anyway, these are the repos I use.
View attachment 126394
I've been using Tumbleweed only for a year and I had the downloads slowing down problem just once or twice IIRC.

They now have a mirror in India and one in Bangladesh. So, I guess you shouldn't face any trouble now.

I might try tumbleweed again.

The Indian mirror doesn't seem to be fully functional... The /update/tumbleweed/... subfolders return 404 error but I can download the tumbleweed ISO fine from the /tumbleweed/ folder...

From what I understand if you use the https link to download.opensuse.org it uses the new mirrorCache system and the http link redirect to old mirrorBrain system which has more mirrors nearby.

I was getting so impatient with the slow downloads that I'm thinking of getting a rpi4 to use as a local mirror!

I might try tumbleweed again.

The Indian mirror doesn't seem to be fully functional... The /update/tumbleweed/... subfolders return 404 error but I can download the tumbleweed ISO fine from the /tumbleweed/ folder...

From what I understand if you use the https link to download.opensuse.org it uses the new mirrorCache system and the http link redirect to old mirrorBrain system which has more mirrors nearby.

I was getting so impatient with the slow downloads that I'm thinking of getting a rpi4 to use as a local mirror!
You're right. The /update/tumbleweed link is returning 404 for me too.

I am using the http link to download.opensuse.org on all my devices that run Tumbleweed and there's never been much of a problem.

I usually do "zypper dup" once in a week or ten days and it downloads and updates about 500-1000 packages. That doesn't take a lot of time for me.

I recall my first dual-boot with Windows and Red Hat Linux installed by a good friend, who was a Unix/Linux aficionado. He used a "ahem" version of the one time famous Partition Magic to set up the dual boot after making a Ghost image of my existing setup.
Subsequently I experimented with many Distro's and at one time had Debian, Solaris, Suse and Mandrake linux multibooting with Windows. This was eons ago and some of those cease to exist. These days linux is mostly relegated to the many Raspberry Pis lying around.

This might be ineteresting if you guys miss all those Retro OSes , the links here lets you run the OS directly on your browser, hope everyone gets back there Nostalgic Time back .......
1. Classic Macintosh
2. Macintosh Plus
3. Windows 3.1
4. PC DOS 5
5. Mac OS X 10.7
6. Windows 1.01
7. Amiga Workbench Simulator
8. Windows 3.1
9. Macintosh System 7
10. Windows 95
11. Atari ST
12. EmuOS
13. Macintosh System 7
14. Windows 98
15. Windows XP
Great post. Thanks for posting this sir.

Well I did start from Windows XP Professional to Vista to Win 7 in school days in a PC with 128 MB memory (upgraded to 512 eventually) and 40GB hard disk. It was some of the good times in my life. Fast forward in college chargeback from your credit windows 8, 8.1 and 10 along with experimenting with Linux- ubuntu for the first 6 months and moved to Arch linux for a year and half finally realizing it's a bit cumbersome to manage and switched back to windows 10 (upgraded to 11). It's slow and heavy but everything works without any hassle .

I've booted the followings :

Windows 98
Windows 98 Se
Windows Me
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows 2003 Server Edition
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9
Fedora Core 3
Solaris OS
OpenSuSe
Ubuntu

this was on Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.40 GHz ( Prescott ) + Mercury 845GL Motherboard with 1Gb DDR Ram and Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 AGP graphic card :D ... I still have that Pc packed safely.

My old desktop
Win 98, 2000
Win Xp
Somehow Win 7 nor win 8.1 not able to install as it is taking ages to load from flash drive

My laptop
Win 8, Win 8.1 (Still using it). Acutally I like win 8.1 tbh
Also Puppy OS ( Edward Sonwden used when my primary hdd crashed)

M$: DOS 5 / DOS 6.22 / Windows 3.1 / WIndows 3.11 Workgroup / Windows 95 / Windows 98 / Windows 98 SE / Windows ME / Windows XP / Windows 7 / Windows 10
Linux: RedHat 5 / Fedora 6 / Ubuntu / CentOS

Back