How much does fiber cable costs and in what length do they come per coil?

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Where I live right now we don't get BSNL broadband net and fiber has to be connected way from the highway road or town area. We don't have Jio/Airtel fiber, only some local private players (via Shree North East, Assam). They also charge a lot for the connection. As if that was not bad enough I live in a village which is a good distance away from the town area. They said it's not feasible for them to put a "point" there and if I need any connection then I need to pay for the fiber cables.
In Kohima my cousin had to buy two coils of fiber cables for Jio fiber. Its worse in my situation since we don't get the services of Jio and are at the mercy of the local providers.

So I'd like to know what I should get and how much it would cost me. I can also move out to the city but I don't have such plans right now due to some unavoidable personal issues. So for now I plan to get a fiber connection and then look for some work which will also allow me to stay where I am and not have to move out.

For how much distance you are looking for ?
Multi mode or single mode ?
In this case, you can ask for a quote from BSNL itself ? Or check with their contractor in the area ?

Check people like this, found in a random google search:

Last edited:
You can check on B2B site like TradeIndia. They deal only with other business and have minimum order. The site helps you gauge price range.

I'm throwing out a number here just to give an idea — Rs 500 to Rs 1000 per kilometer for outdoor-rated single-mode fiber. It could be lower, but definitely not higher. Airtel people roll them out here as if they were as cheap as potatoes. Linemen expect to be paid around Rs 100 to 250 per task where they go up a pole or into a residence, so it's 200 to 500 for labour for the simplest connection (pole to home).

You can negotiate a little by offering to pay in advance for a certain number of months. In the city here, Airtel installation is free if you pay for three months of service and Excitel gives you three additional months of internet if you pay for a year. The reality shouldn't be much different for you unless if you're a few kilometers away from their nearest drop since there would be a lot of poles between you and them in that case.

An alternative is to find someone closer to the last point this ISP has, set up an electrical connection with a meter there with a long range access point and offer something around Rs 100/month as rent to have your access point on their property. I did this for a couple years (not in India) and it worked well.

For how much distance you are looking for ?
Multi mode or single mode ?
In this case, you can ask for a quote from BSNL itself ? Or check with their contractor in the area ?
I think it would be at least 1km if taken the shortest route or 2-2.5km if taken the longer one.
BSNL don't offer their products or services to private individuals here. There is also no "contractor" here so the private players are milking the consumers. They said the most they can offer is 60m of fiber cable and rest I have to buy. Btw we don't get 30-40+ Mbps (2mbps-6mbps on a bad day and 20mbps on a good day) so please keep that in mind.

My original plan was to get a Cat5 LAN cable from a local cafe to my location and then pay him a fraction of the monthly bill lol but after reading about it I came to know that it would be impossible.
I'm throwing out a number here just to give an idea — Rs 500 to Rs 1000 per kilometer for outdoor-rated single-mode fiber. It could be lower, but definitely not higher. Airtel people roll them out here as if they were as cheap as potatoes. Linemen expect to be paid around Rs 100 to 250 per task where they go up a pole or into a residence, so it's 200 to 500 for labour for the simplest connection (pole to home).

You can negotiate a little by offering to pay in advance for a certain number of months. In the city here, Airtel installation is free if you pay for three months of service and Excitel gives you three additional months of internet if you pay for a year. The reality shouldn't be much different for you unless if you're a few kilometers away from their nearest drop since there would be a lot of poles between you and them in that case.

An alternative is to find someone closer to the last point this ISP has, set up an electrical connection with a meter there with a long range access point and offer something around Rs 100/month as rent to have your access point on their property. I did this for a couple years (not in India) and it worked well.
This experience seems to be from the city. If only we had such ISP's or facilities here. 1k for fiber is damn good. I think that I'm being offered b2c rates here. 18rs per meter. That's 18k for 1km. I wonder at how much rate those bigger private players buy and if they can be bought from them. If anyone in the city has any contact please let me know!

Where I live right now we don't get BSNL broadband net and fiber has to be connected way from the highway road or town area. We don't have Jio/Airtel fiber, only some local private players (via Shree North East, Assam). They also charge a lot for the connection. As if that was not bad enough I live in a village which is a good distance away from the town area. They said it's not feasible for them to put a "point" there and if I need any connection then I need to pay for the fiber cables.
In Kohima my cousin had to buy two coils of fiber cables for Jio fiber. Its worse in my situation since we don't get the services of Jio and are at the mercy of the local providers.

So I'd like to know what I should get and how much it would cost me. I can also move out to the city but I don't have such plans right now due to some unavoidable personal issues. So for now I plan to get a fiber connection and then look for some work which will also allow me to stay where I am and not have to move out.
if you have to bring your own cable then I don't think in future they will provide you any kind of support for the cuts in cable. You should get Jio air fiber or airtel air fiber

if you have to bring your own cable then I don't think in future they will provide you any kind of support for the cuts in cable. You should get Jio air fiber or airtel air fiber
Good point.
@iPwnz Don't go for fiber as there are lots of problems for minimum gain
- As mentioned above, you won't get support for any damage also cable theft can be a big problem
- Speed is very bad for such high investment
- Get the connection only if you really need else use other options as its not VFM with almost all risk on you
- Is there any section where you have flat land with No option to mount your wire in air? in that case the wire will be on the ground or under the ground (more investment) means its prone to damage.

In short get the connection Only if you really need because there are more disadvantages then what you gain.
My original plan was to get a Cat5 LAN cable from a local cafe to my location and then pay him a fraction of the monthly bill lol but after reading about it I came to know that it would be impossible.
You will need routers in between to relay your connection as access point

How about long range wifi as an option ?

Tenda 5GHZ 16dBi 11ac Outdoor CPE
The Tenda 5GHz 23dBi 11ac Outdoor CPE

Or similar devices with low end devices, I think this will be viable option in situations like this.
Check with DLink, one of their distributors did a similar job for an entity I know few years bank in India.

A drum comes with about 300 m roll of FO.
The price depends on the number of FO cores in the cable and whether it is armored or not but is usually between Rs 10-20 per meter for 12 core.
Cable laying will also require plastic or metal conduits (pipes, bends etc) whose cost also you need to add (similar figure of Rs 10 / meter; though metal conduit is much more expensive).
And finally the labor cost of laying the cable, splicing, terminating etc.

And if you need to bring it underground then cost of permit, digging/trenching etc also added.

If you can gather a few people around you who could use such connection, you can try negotiating with the provider; split the cost at the very least. It's still bad that you have to do a bit of sales for the provider, but doesn't look like you have much of a choice :(

I went to talk to a local ISP. This is the cable being provided.
20230925_142457~2.jpg
I'm not an expert but it's different from the flat telephone-like one provided by Jio Fiber. This one is round.
I might need 950-1000m of it.

Or similar devices with low end devices, I think this will be viable option in situations like this.
Check with DLink, one of their distributors did a similar job for an entity I know few years bank in India.
One ISP said I can also use a wireless connection using their receiver and will costs me 15k.

One ISP said I can also use a wireless connection using their receiver and will costs me 15k.
It's not that I "have to" bring my own. They said I will need a very long one but I will have to pay for it and since their rate is high I thought it would be better if I buy the cable wire myself.
- Is there any section where you have flat land with No option to mount your wire in air? in that case the wire will be on the ground or under the ground (more investment) means its prone to damage.
It will be mounted on air using the street solar lamp posts. Which are in 1/3 of the road. Then trees and bamboo poles and what not. Anything which can be put to use will be used.
Is airtel air fiber or jio air fiber not an option
Does your village have 5G coverage or 4G is also working with these
We have 4G but due to frequent power cuts mobile data network is not reliable. I assume the contractors or the property owners in whose houses the towers are being kept did something with/to the backup battery so whenever the main line goes out then so do the mobile towers. Also the govt finally restored mobile net after 4 months.
If you can gather a few people around you who could use such connection, you can try negotiating with the provider; split the cost at the very least. It's still bad that you have to do a bit of sales for the provider, but doesn't look like you have much of a choice :(
That's actually what they suggested and wanted me to do but being a small village no one except for the village chief and I will be able to afford it. Might need to come up with a way to monetize the connection.

Plan is 10mbps ₹500 and 20mbps ₹700.

Last edited:
That's actually what they suggested and wanted me to do but being a small village no one except for the village chief and I will be able to afford it. Might need to come up with a way to monetize the connection.

Plan is 10mbps ₹500 and 20mbps ₹700.
I guess you can setup an Internet services booth for people around you. This is what I remember few local businesses doing back in 2G broadband days - businesses like offset printers offered internet services for the locals while also making use of it for their business.

The pricing is brutal, though!

@iPwnz I sense you doing it for your farmland or whatever but if you are personally going to lay it underground beware and ready to face cuts during underground digging by local authorities for whatever reasons. They arent going to care unless the wire is laid by a prime authority.
Add to it, local people intentionally doing harm as its a human nature to purposely trouble people around and jealousy factors etc.

Will advise, to hook to a phone and sim for internet.

Not underground. It will be raised on posts. Already mentioned in my previous reply. The good thing is being a rural area we've got plenty of trees.

Not underground. It will be raised on posts. Already mentioned in my previous reply. The good thing is being a rural area we've got plenty of trees.
Missed that... Even on poles/tress you will need repeaters for amplifying signals and it will require power. So whats you plan here?

Do you have friends or family in a nearby town with fiber? In particulatr, any place from where you can get Line of Sight between the highest point of your house and the other place.
Both TP Link and Ubiquiti have some excellent Point-to-point connection equipment which don’t cost much and are extremely reliable over a distance of a few kms.

They won’t get you gigabit connectivity if thats what you are looking for but 100+ mbps is very easily feasible at a much lower cost than running long fiber runs.

I had setup a 1200m (1.2km as the crow flies) LoS P2P connection for extended family in my village .. Excluding the cost of the minor civil work (setting up a tall-ish pole), the cost was well under 10K …
and its been running extremely reliably for the last 7-8 years. This was on older equipment with 100mbps max link speed and the actual speeds are in the range of 60-70mbps. Newer equipment should be even better.

There are google map overlays i had checked back then to assess feasibility ..just search for Line of sight overlays for google maps

Last edited:
Back