PC Peripherals How often Do u Clean ur PC!!

strategy

Skilled
Feb 25, 2010
Vacuum cleaner is the best tool bestowed upon man for the purpose.

The cleaning frequency depends on the dust accumulated though ! :)

devesh38

Adept
Sep 11, 2008
Mumbai
i clean it every month....... there is lot of dust at my place........

one question.....: in how many months should one change thermal paste.....??

i haven't changed since 2 years.......... i think i am facing some low performances from my cpu........

strategy

Skilled
Feb 25, 2010
if you are overclocking the GPU/cpu ...then every 4 months!

otherwise in an year, even 2 years will do if the conditions are good !

...although agind of the processor can also be a cause of your processor "slowing" ..how much is it ..i mean 4-6% is OK.

now that i think about it my Laptop could use a new thermal paste! :)

pr0ing

Adept
Sep 4, 2006
strategy said:
Vacuum cleaner is the best tool bestowed upon man for the purpose.
The cleaning frequency depends on the dust accumulated though ! :)
Do not use the blowing option of the vaccum cleaner as the air contains static electricity and might cause damage to sensitive hardware. Use compressed air cans for blowing the dust out of hard to reach areas.
Use the vaccum cleaner only for sucking in the accumulated dust.

devesh38

Adept
Sep 11, 2008
Mumbai
dont know how slow the cpu is now as compared to when it was new....... but surely the games i play nowadays are not running smooth............ even at medium settings.....

i am thinking of changing the thermal paste........... but i dont have any experience of changing the thermal paste....... what precautions should i take before changing and while changing it.........???

rgsilent

Disciple
Sep 25, 2010
Old comp...didn't clean it for years :p
New one...every few months.
ps: why are you shouting in the thread title? :p

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Oct 7, 2009
Top Gear Test Track
Atleast once a week-externally and once every 15 days internally--i use a brush to clean the gpu and all the sensitive stuff inside, i clean the fans with a moist handkerchief dabbed in IPA solution. I have an extremely dust prone workspace.

Aug 11, 2009
Austin,TX
There is no strict timeframe that one has to follow to clean their PC. It all depends on where they have placed the system and how is it being used.

Dust will cause poor heat radiation thereby straining all your components. If you have the time, you can very well clean it using your vaccum cleaner once a week. As stated earlier use the sucking option.

With regards to TIM.. you can ask any computer hardware stores for IPA, they cost around Rs50 for 500ml here in chennai. Its a good alternative to clean your motherboard, RAM everything, but you should allow it to evaporate completely before you put back your components to use.

Happy cleaning

letmein

Skilled
Oct 11, 2009
Delhi
As and when I see dust build up. Clean the outsides of my case, monitor, speakers, desk with a soft cloth to get rid of the visible dust. Use a can of compressed air to clean out my cabinet when I open it.

vip

Adept
Jan 8, 2010
Mohali
i used a p4 pc for around 5 years and i never clean it except the dust accumulated at the bottom of cabinet(2-3 times):eek:hyeah:
and when i sold it, it looks like new from inside even every component of mobo is visible and shiny.
Never applied TIM.