CPU/Mobo How often should a pc be given a break?

Vince

Boogie-Man
Skilled
Guys,

I got my BB connection 2 days back...and ...uhm...i left my pc on for ,like, 1 and a half days(for downloads).... is it harmful and will it spoil my pc?
(no, the monitor was off for that perios of time)

Could someone tell me what are the potential problems of leaving a pc on for a long time (and any probs with p2ps as well)....and what is the advisable time for it to be on..i.e., after how many hours should i give it a break(of how many hours)?

Thanks
Vince

Nothing like that......if your PC is at stock settings, then there is no problem leaving it on for weeks at a time..... but as long as you are near the computer once in a few hours..... Don't leave the comp on when you out of station or something......

and abt being connected to the net all the time, just make sure that you use a good firewall and make sure your Anti Virus system is up to date. Also scan for spywares and adwares using Lavasoft Ad-Aware Se once in 3 days or so......

But otherwise, there is no harm in keeping your PC on all the time........

BTW, what broadband connection are you using??? How much are you paying for it??

Thanks Nikhil!
Whats "STOCK SETTINGS" ??

i'll be near my pc once every 12 hours(after college hours that is)... i keep NortonAntiVirus, Zonealarm and spysweeper running all the time....is it ok?
Also i'm worried about overheating of the ram or processor (i dont do overclocking) but i'm still a bit worried...

I just got my TataIndicom BB-> plan is 64 kbps unlimited for approx Rs.880 per month....by i'm gettin speeds of 88kbps (heh heh heh)

I only restart my PC when i am gona do benchmarking.
I shut it down only to replace hardware or change something.
Its otherwise running 24X7 and that too overclocked. No issues.
If you have proper case cooling then you should not worry.
Just make sure you have enabled the CPU max temp shutdown feature in bios.
PC will immediately shut down if it goes above that or if chip fan fails.
Most modern mobos have that feature which ensures that your PC is not damaged due to fan failure.
So you need not worry.

yeah..... I was just going to say what Funky said.......... And even if your system is overclocked, then if it is Prime stable for 24 hrs or more, then again there is no problem.....

And I don't think you need to worry abt heat as at the stock settings, most heatsinks are sufficient..... unless you have a Prescott and a heatsink fan which is not seated properly.....

I dont have a 'heatsink' as such, just a normal fan in my cpu..but my a/c does run for about 3 hours a day so should that be enough?

Thaks FunkyMonkey and Nikhil!!!!

Back