Car & Bike How often should I get my bike serviced?

I have a Unicorn Dazzler which has done 10000 Km in 2 years.
It is not used much and the weekly running is around 50km.
How often should I get my bike serviced ?

Every 3000 Kms Oil Change, Greasing wheel Bearings, Greasing the Chain, Cleaning the Petrol Tank (usually during rainy season there is a chance of water getting mixed in petrol)

You get a solvent to mix in the engine oil which makes the engine oil thick, usually I observed that I get a good mileage when I use that, recently these went out of stock & using the oil without it, when I used it, I usually got my bike serviced after 4000 kms, its a new bike & I brought it on 1st Jan 2013 & it has ran till 12k kms till now.

I havent googled about it, Its my experience coz I have a Two Wheelers Spare Parts & Service Station, hence I get some liberty to do some R&D :p

I have a Commuter Bike HERO HF Deluxe & running is 60 kms daily & I get mileage of 70kms per Ltr. If I ride below 50kmph.

Every 3000 Kms Oil Change, Greasing wheel Bearings, Greasing the Chain, Cleaning the Petrol Tank (usually during rainy season there is a chance of water getting mixed in petrol)

You get a solvent to mix in the engine oil which makes the engine oil thick, usually I observed that I get a good mileage when I use that, recently these went out of stock & using the oil without it, when I used it, I usually got my bike serviced after 4000 kms, its a new bike & I brought it on 1st Jan 2013 & it has ran till 12k kms till now.

I havent googled about it, Its my experience coz I have a Two Wheelers Spare Parts & Service Station, hence I get some liberty to do some R&D :p

I have a Commuter Bike HERO HF Deluxe & running is 60 kms daily & I get mileage of 70kms per Ltr. If I ride below 50kmph.

Your daily running is much more than mine. If i change the oil every 3000kms i would be changing it only once a year. Is that advisable

well, in lay man terms when the engine oil becomes very thin, that's the time to change it, when you go to a auto shop, this is how they check, more important is the level.
now your question, by the book its after every 3000 kms, there was a time when I had splendor, my traveling was 2 kms daily & I used to change it once a year even though it was less than 1000kms a year.
plus there are other small things, always fill petrol in the morning, check air pressure regularly, never keep petrol tank more than half empty, if dazzler has a twin suspension then do not forget to switch the rear shock absorber to double seat when you riding with a pillion, never ride above 60kms & so on .........

well, in lay man terms when the engine oil becomes very thin, that's the time to change it, when you go to a auto shop, this is how they check, more important is the level.
now your question, by the book its after every 3000 kms, there was a time when I had splendor, my traveling was 2 kms daily & I used to change it once a year even though it was less than 1000kms a year.
plus there are other small things, always fill petrol in the morning, check air pressure regularly, never keep petrol tank more than half empty, if dazzler has a twin suspension then do not forget to switch the rear shock absorber to double seat when you riding with a pillion, never ride above 60kms & so on .........
In that case I would be changing the engine oil once a year.
Last question, How often should the greasing of chain, bearings be done(I saw the mechanic do it and i feel i can do it myself)?

I have a 2yrs old FZS and i get my bike serviced only twice/year. I have done ~6000 km so far.

I am using semi synthetic oil since feb 2013.
This is what i do,
Check battery water level every month and engine oil level every 20days (top up if necessary)
Clean air filter every 2500-3000kms (service centre guys do this for me)
Lube chain after 300kms (in open chain bikes). Use diesel to clean the chain and gear oil to lube.
Check brakes, throttle and clutch wire play every 2months. Adjust if necessary.
Wash your bike atleast once per month and remove the mud/dirt from near crank case, exhaust, frame and engine heat fins.
Check tyre pressure every 20-30days
Check all the switches and lights every 20-30 days including turn indicators and tail+brake lights operation.

In that case I would be changing the engine oil once a year.
Last question, How often should the greasing of chain, bearings be done(I saw the mechanic do it and i feel i can do it myself)?
just do not let it get dry, you can open the black rubber cap on the chain cover if it is covered & check it with your finger, if its dry then you can do it yourself, if the chain is exposed then do it whenever it dries up.
one more thing, most of the bikers have a bad habit of keeping foot on the break giving a little pressure while riding, avoid that.

just do not let it get dry, you can open the black rubber cap on the chain cover if it is covered & check it with your finger, if its dry then you can do it yourself, if the chain is exposed then do it whenever it dries up.
one more thing, most of the bikers have a bad habit of keeping foot on the break giving a little pressure while riding, avoid that.
I think it is not covered, but i'll keep checking it regularly. Thanks for the tips everyone. This was really helpful. I have driven 10k km but im a noob when it comes to maintenance. That's the reason why I bought the super reliable Unicorn itself.
But now i guess it will be treated better :D

Back