Monitors How pixelated will a 27inch full-HD monitor with a 81PPI screen look from a distance of 1.5 to 2 feet?

nemo_online

Disciple
This is when someone is browsing websites and reading text on the screen. Gaming and movies will be fine I guess.
Will it cause eye-strain or will it be fine?
Will be very happy if someone who actually uses a 27 inch monitor responds.
Edit: If anyone suggests 27 inch 1440P, my CPU is Ryzen 5 3500 and GPU 1050Ti. ( Too weak for playing games from 2021-22 I guess but would love to confirm)
Intended usage - Work ( lot of writing and online research), movies and gaming.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I downgraded from a 27" FHD 144Hz monitor to a 24" with the same specs to use for work and gaming. Initially had a separate 21" FHD monitor just for work.
I could not live with a lower PPI for work-related tasks. Also had to move my neck to shift focus between open windows. As for gaming, I really miss the immersive feeling of a larger screen.

It's alright I guess. I used to use dual 1080p 27 inches at work for some time. I didn't find it too straining on my eyes but It's much less pleasing than 1080p on a 24-inch panel or 1440p on a 27-inch panel. I recommend going for those options instead.

I downgraded from a 27" FHD 144Hz monitor to a 24" with the same specs to use for work and gaming. Initially had a separate 21" FHD monitor just for work.
I could not live with a lower PPI for work-related tasks. Also had to move my neck to shift focus between open windows. As for gaming, I really miss the immersive feeling of a larger screen.
If I may, what was the nature of your work? Technical or non-tech? For e.g. My work involves lot of online reading and research.

If you're buying new, either buy 24" 1080p or 27" 1440p. Don't go for 27" Full HD unless you're getting some super good deal in the used market.

I use 27" 4k monitor and I think I'm never again going below 150 ppi (same as 14" Full HD laptop screen). about 100 ppi is fine if you've never used higher, but 81 is just ridiculously low.

If the usage was only gaming/movies, then this would have been fine.

It's alright I guess. I used to use dual 1080p 27 inches at work for some time. I didn't find it too straining on my eyes but It's much less pleasing than 1080p on a 24-inch panel or 1440p on a 27-inch panel. I recommend going for those options instead.
Have thought about 1440P but it comes with additional questions of - Will my processor and GPU be powerful enough? If not, extra expenses.
P.S. I have a Ryzen 5 3500 and GTX 1050Ti.
If you're buying new, either buy 24" 1080p or 27" 1440p. Don't go for 27" Full HD unless you're getting some super good deal in the used market.

I use 27" 4k monitor and I think I'm never again going below 150 ppi (same as 14" Full HD laptop screen). about 100 ppi is fine if you've never used higher, but 81 is just ridiculously low.

If the usage was only gaming/movies, then this would have been fine.
I already have a 1080p full HD. My usage would be for everything - Office work ( writing and researching) , movies and casual but regular gaming. Benq Mobiuz EX2710S & LG Ultragear 27GL650F both have 82 and 81 PPI respectively.

Have thought about 1440P but it comes with additional questions of - Will my processor and GPU be powerful enough? If not, extra expenses.
P.S. I have a Ryzen 5 3500 and GTX 1050Ti.
For AAA gaming, No. But, If you play less graphically demanding or casual titles you should be good to go. If your CPU is not holding you back at 1080p, then 1440p is not going to be a problem either.

AMD FSR works with 1050Ti and you can use the Lossless Scaling app on Steam to use FSR with games that don't natively support it. I've tried it and it works well. This is also an option if you don't want to run games at 1080p on a 1440p panel.

If I may, what was the nature of your work? Technical or non-tech? For e.g. My work involves lot of online reading and research.
Tech related. The problem I ran into was text sharpness as I position the monitor about 1.5-2 feet away and also use the laptop's screen as a faux-dual screen setup. It was disorienting to look back and forth from a sharp 2K screen of the laptop and a lower DPI screen.

If you plan to use a single monitor setup, you should be able to adapt. Also, on a side note, let me know if you plan to get a 27" FHD screen - I will be listing it on the classified section sometime.

Tech related. The problem I ran into was text sharpness as I position the monitor about 1.5-2 feet away and also use the laptop's screen as a faux-dual screen setup. It was disorienting to look back and forth from a sharp 2K screen of the laptop and a lower DPI screen.

If you plan to use a single monitor setup, you should be able to adapt. Also, on a side note, let me know if you plan to get a 27" FHD screen - I will be listing it on the classified section sometime.
Yes, I will be using a single monitor setup. My work involves reading a lot so pixelated text won't really appeal to me I guess.
For AAA gaming, No. But, If you play less graphically demanding or casual titles you should be good to go. If your CPU is not holding you back at 1080p, then 1440p is not going to be a problem either.

AMD FSR works with 1050Ti and you can use the Lossless Scaling app on Steam to use FSR with games that don't natively support it. I've tried it and it works well. This is also an option if you don't want to run games at 1080p on a 1440p panel.
My CPU doesn't hold me back at the moment. Not that I am aware of anyway.
I mostly play FPS, racing and RPGs in SP mode irrespective of their age, but yes, I don't have this need to play a title as soon as it releases which means I am usually playing a mix of old and new. For e.g. I am playing Forza 5, Hitman 3, Fifa 18, AC Black Flag and AC Odyssey right now.
No strategy games.

Last edited:
Back