How safe are 'Sugarfree' type tablets ?

raksrules

Elite
We see a lot of advertisements about 'sugarfee' tablets which are placed as sugar substitutes to avoid weight gain / calorie intake.
Now AFAIK, all these tablets (Equal, sugarfree etc etc) are meant for diabetics and not for others.
My company has an email id where we can ask medical related queries. I had asked them whether a normal (non diabetic) person should take them as advertised. I was told to refrain from them as they have long term side effects and should not be taken unless prescribed by a doctor.

So whats you take and if any medicos here please enlighten us.

Long term use of anything is contraindicated unless absolutely necessary!!

'Sugar free' stuff mostly contain Aspartame or Sucralose

Long term aspartame intake can cause renal failure(by long term I'm referring to like >5-10 years of continuous(regular) use!

It can be taken occasionally w/o probs)
Sucralose is much safer for long term consumption as it is derived from sugar!

Only adverse effect I know of, regarding regular sucralose intake is - Widening of pelvis

search for the 2 on wiki, but as far as i remember, one of them shouldnot be heated (most probably aspartame)... so you cannot use that in stuff like hot tea

i remember we read bad stufff bout aspartame in 12class bio :)

@amazer - Yea! Splenda contains sucralose!

@Janitha - whoa! continuously or occasionally?

@_pappu_ - Yea! aspartame is heat unstable! thats why its used as a sweetner in drinks such as Diet pepsi, diet coke etc.

Sucralose(Splenda) is heat stable and can be used while cooking and baking!

sohail99 said:
@amazer -

@Janitha - whoa! continuously or occasionally?

@_pappu_ - Yea! aspartame is heat unstable! thats why its used as a sweetner in drinks such as Diet pepsi, diet coke etc.

Sucralose(Splenda) is heat stable and can be used while cooking and baking!

Everyday. The doctor had suggested it but but advised not to exceed 6 granules a day. But planning to stop it along with smoking.

Yes, it is added only after cooling the tea and using with tea only.

Back