How to access internet on a GPRS mobile?

bluediamond

Skilled
Feb 13, 2005
www.archanaonline.com
well, i dont hav pc now wit me. only a gprs compatible phone..
is there any way to access internet on mobile(without pc) and to use messengers on mobile?
i m using airtel prepaid in chennai...
hav to enable gprs and wap too.. so please give instrns for that also..

dipdude

Skilled
May 27, 2005
www.techenclave.com
Call up airtel and have them enable GPRS on your sim(I think that should have already been done)

Next step is they would send a Airtel Live Settings File to access the GPRS connection.(You would get a prompt on sony saying new settings received - do you want to enable - say yes)

Third is just access Wap on your phone & by defalt it would load the Airtel Live Home page - from there you can use Yahoo Mail & Yahoo Messenger.

But if you are planning to access Internet - as in browse the net freely & not only visit Airtel Live page then you have to pay some monthly fee - dont know the current rates - maybe 100rs per month or something.

Wait for others to reply for more details.

archish

Skilled
Apr 12, 2005
airtel has 350rs per month plan called mobile office in prepaid. U can browse from phone or even connect to computer and browse.

bluediamond

Skilled
Feb 13, 2005
www.archanaonline.com
dipdude said:
Call up airtel and have them enable GPRS on your sim(I think that should have already been done)

Next step is they would send a Airtel Live Settings File to access the GPRS connection.(You would get a prompt on sony saying new settings received - do you want to enable - say yes)

Third is just access Wap on your phone & by defalt it would load the Airtel Live Home page - from there you can use Yahoo Mail & Yahoo Messenger.

But if you are planning to access Internet - as in browse the net freely & not only visit Airtel Live page then you have to pay some monthly fee - dont know the current rates - maybe 100rs per month or something.

Wait for others to reply for more details.
thanks a lot

me using w810i, anyonw knows where to access wap in that i checked the internet options, only sony ericsson menu is there..
i m so n00b right!! :(

dipdude

Skilled
May 27, 2005
www.techenclave.com
Check if you have a custom(preconfigured) button on your phone gprs/wap. or

In the menu - look for internet services for internet access.

But first did you get the push message from Airtel with the settings file, if yes - make sure in (settings - connectivity - internet settings - internet profiles ) Airtel Live is selected.

The menu options may be different in your phone - so just d/l the user guide from sony for your model(or install it from cd) - you can also try out the various getting started guides.

bluediamond

Skilled
Feb 13, 2005
www.archanaonline.com
crap airtel.. how many times i hav to cal n call names!!!!
cant i use settings configured for any other w810i phone??? if i can, then pls anyone can just post the settings here...
wat abt wap settings?? they also need to be obtained from them only kya!!! crap! :(

x86

Skilled
Dec 30, 2005
i havent used any sony ericsion phones but lemme tell you the airtel settings...
se the preferred access point to airtelgprs.com
proxy > no
authentication > no
then just connect if you have mobile office u'll be able to connect.
for using messenger on a java based mobile .. best one is IM+ "shapeservices.org" just google it u have to buy the software though it allows to use yahoo msn icq jabber all.
More or less it works perfect without any issules unlike "tipic me" bla bla bla.
thers another one which works flawlessly with airtel and symbian is agile messenger but u need symbian handset tht u dont have so its outa question.

RiO

Skilled
Dec 13, 2005
www.axemanrio.com
If Airtel hasn't enabled GPRS or the mobile office plan, cancel it. Browsing on the mobile plain sucks... it's so friggin slow that it sometimes make you want to throw your phone against a wall. The only thing it's good for is receiving email, which is what I do... I've never had trouble with Chattermail on my Treo650.

dipdude

Skilled
May 27, 2005
www.techenclave.com
bd said:
crap airtel.. how many times i hav to cal n call names!!!!

cant i use settings configured for any other w810i phone??? if i can, then pls anyone can just post the settings here...

wat abt wap settings?? they also need to be obtained from them only kya!!! crap!

1. Just SMS " LIVE " without quotes to 2567 & you will get the settings.

2. Say yes to the push message - go to settings - connectivity - internet settings - internet profiles & make sure Airtel Live is selected.

3. Access wap using custom(preconfigured) button on your phone for gprs/wap or

In the menu - look for internet services & select it - it would by default load the Airtel Live Homepage.

bluediamond

Skilled
Feb 13, 2005
www.archanaonline.com
i got an sms for installing settings but it said settings not valid on phone. it seems i have to cal them on an alternate line (wasting money..as no other prepaid available with my friens) and manually set the settings.!!! phew......

Saiyan

The L33t Admeen
Skilled
Aug 19, 2005
Texel, the Netherlands
www.techenclave.com
bluediamond said:
i got an sms for installing settings but it said settings not valid on phone. it seems i have to cal them on an alternate line (wasting money..as no other prepaid available with my friens) and manually set the settings.!!! phew......

Why don't you go to any Airtel Outlet and ask them set it up for ya:).. Most of pals do that.

bluediamond

Skilled
Feb 13, 2005
www.archanaonline.com
nop.. i went to airtel shop but they said no support for w810i phone.. and i dono to do it manually.. tried once doing, but failed.. :(

i m now thinking of enabling mobile office by recharging with 3** rupees.. is it worth?? :(

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
nop.. i went to airtel shop but they said no support for w810i phone..

BS...It's just that they can';t spoonfeed customers with an automated service settings SMS....(which they have only for Nokia phones)

For SE, you need to set up the APN and proxy manually, though you will have to enable mobile office anyway (Coz the default Airtel Live connection is entitled only to the Airtel live site)....

Having said that, GPRS browsing on a cellphone sux bigtime....

As it is, GPRS connnections are slow (yet bearable)

But when you couple it with the time that a celphone's teeny weeny processor takes to render the page (not to forget the smal screen); you get an experience that is best not experienced :p

Using a GPRS connection as net connection through a PC is kinda OK though as a stop gap measure....

I use it while travelling, and get speeds between 20-40kbps

Feels like using a dial-up connection, but is good enough for chatting/browing, and of course, posting on TE ;)

bluediamond

Skilled
Feb 13, 2005
www.archanaonline.com
superczar said:
BS...It's just that they can';t spoonfeed customers with an automated service settings SMS....(which they have only for Nokia phones)

For SE, you need to set up the APN and proxy manually, though you will have to enable mobile office anyway (Coz the default Airtel Live connection is entitled only to the Airtel live site)....

Having said that, GPRS browsing on a cellphone sux bigtime....

As it is, GPRS connnections are slow (yet bearable)

But when you couple it with the time that a celphone's teeny weeny processor takes to render the page (not to forget the smal screen); you get an experience that is best not experienced :p

Using a GPRS connection as net connection through a PC is kinda OK though as a stop gap measure....

I use it while travelling, and get speeds between 20-40kbps

Feels like using a dial-up connection, but is good enough for chatting/browing, and of course, posting on TE ;)

i too have heard of it... but experiencing the unexperienced experiences itself is a big experience right? so just wanted to try it out.... :)

the wap portals.. i hav heard of ppl posting on te thru mob and chattin yahoo n all.. so i just got that techomania disease....

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
Chennai
if it works on a k750i theres no reason why it shouldnt be supported on a w810i :p

and i agree with sc , surfing and chatting on the phone kinda sucks :p