How to access windows shared folder from android device using wifi router?

saurabh.

Disciple
Hello everyone,
I need help regarding file sharing between pc and android phone. I want to access folders on my pc over wifi.
I have a wifi modem+router connected to my pc. I want to know, if sharing can be done through router? or I have to buy wifi usb card? I googled and found some tutorials but I am not getting success. Below is the link of one of such tutorials.
http://www.guidingtech.com/10885/access-shared-windows-folders-android-wifi/
My routers model name is Tplink - W8951ND. I did everything as shown in above link. created home network, shared folder, used ES file explorer. But I am not able to connect. Please help.

This is done via Samba Server usually ..

I personally use Solid Explorer App (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer), Its one of my fav apps I'd suggest getting the paid version too.

Create a normal Windows Share on your PC.
Launch Solid Explorer

Goto Jump --> Network --> SMB/CIFS ..

Add new SMB Connection
-Enter IP Address
-Enter domain (should be WORKGROUP or blank)
-Select Authentication if you use password to log on to Windows on your PC.
-Enter username/password if you want to save it.

Save it.

Now you can browse your PC shared folders using Solid Explorer app.

@dexBG Thank you! I installed solid explorer. I did what you said. surprisingly it showed my pc name when clicked on scan option. I entered necessary values and created connection. however I am not able to access shared files. It shows message as "cannot browse to 19x.x.x an unknown error occured". what should be the reason? I have given shared folder access to everyone. I have two logins on pc. one is admin and other is limited. there is no password set for limited login. I have windows 7 installed on pc.

Long time back when I got exposed to android phone, this was the first thing I tried: sharing files between windows and android.

I installed Astro file manager on android and connected my phone to home WiFi. It automatically created links to all the shared stuff on my network (shared folders/drives on all PCs and hard drive connected to the router). Newer version of Astro has out-of-the-box support for DropBox, GDrive and maybe few other cloud storage services.

I didn't have to type a single IP address or do any other settings to be able to access windows files on my android phone. You should also try it.

i have already tried that. es explorer is not able to find anything in search. are there any settings to be done in router? is it possible via router in first place?

@saurabh : Try to search in ESFileExplorer after turning off Windows Firewall. Worked for me..
Yes that was firewall settings problem. I have zone alarm installed. In zone settings I changed my network zone to trusted. And now I am able to access the shared files :D thank you everybody for your help!
Btw solid explorer is really good. you don't have to enter any values. just have to scan and select.

Back