how to block Steam client on network

sunilyo

Adept
Hi everyone,

In my office there is a guy who uses Steam client for playing online games. He is connected via the Wi-fi router. So i wanted to know if there is any way to block the Steam client completely. Its eating into our network speeds and overall monthly download limits.

I tried using QoS service but its not helping. Maybe i am doing something wrong.

--Report him to IT
--Get his laptop and firewall Steam.exe from accessing the internet.

Router will allow you to block URLs .. to prevent Web Browsing ..

Also try Port Blocking to prevent downloads ...

Steam Client
  • UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
  • UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
  • TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
  • UDP 4380
These are the essential ports which Steam Client uses .. block these on the router.

thanks dexBG. I am unable to block ports on the router. The router that we have is Netgear WNDR 3700V2. I have used the QoS service and given least priority to these ports.

Any idea? Or can i do some thing on the airtel modem?

Blacklist the application using the Windows Firewall .. Revoke his Admin Privileges so he can't change the Firewall settings. This should already be done for IT Security.

Thanks guys for your replies. My office is a very small setup and there is no IT guy here who looks after the network.

The setup is like this:

Airtel modem -> Wifi Router -> network hub/switch (for wired users) & Wifi for wifi users

We have 9 users in total of which 4 including the steam guy in on wifi.

I am unable to find the blocking option on my router. So if anyone has any experience with this router - NETGEAR WNDR 3700V2 - then please let me know on how to do so.

Blocking through Windows firewall will mean that i will have to access his laptop which i cannot. If there is any other means through like a software etc. then please let me know.

Speak to him and tell him to stop leeching off the network. Else, block all those ports, but I dont think that would work completely.

Steam client doesn't leech into any network mate... U got it all wrong.. Its light. Plus if others start using steam stops working.

So yeah you've got it all wrong..

Atleast if u play cs or dota.
Saying this as I play both on a limited internet connection.

Slightly off topic. Does he/she disturb others while playing? Is the bandwidth heavily constrained because of the gaming sessions? Is it affecting his/her work throughput? If you answer to any of these as yes then you are on the right track. If all this is answered in negative, then are you just an admin trying to moral police the workplace? To me internet policing sounds absurd unless its disturbing others in the workplace.

To me internet policing sounds absurd unless its disturbing others in the workplace.

Playing games at a workplace/company-time is okay .. How did this logic come about ?

then are you just an admin trying to moral police the workplace?
Restricting non-business activity on Company resources is not 'moral' policing ..

There seem to be only 9 people on staff and if 4 of them are slacking away on Steam Games then it doesn't really set a good example ..

Slightly off topic. Does he/she disturb others while playing? Is the bandwidth heavily constrained because of the gaming sessions? Is it affecting his/her work throughput? If you answer to any of these as yes then you are on the right track. If all this is answered in negative, then are you just an admin trying to moral police the workplace? To me internet policing sounds absurd unless its disturbing others in the workplace.

Either you are really deluded or have your own company. Anyways, usually at a company, a high bandwidth line is leased for data traffic and the cost is the amount of bandwidth consumed. Steam games are not small - 5GB is the norm. And if he downloads about several GB a month, its not going to look small on the internet bill.

@OP would suggest to also look at torrent and cyberlocker traffic. Steam usually does not tax the bandwidth (cant say for sure), so there might be some other mischief afoot!

Either you are really deluded or have your own company. Anyways, usually at a company, a high bandwidth line is leased for data traffic and the cost is the amount of bandwidth consumed. Steam games are not small - 5GB is the norm. And if he downloads about several GB a month, its not going to look small on the internet bill.

@OP would suggest to also look at torrent and cyberlocker traffic. Steam usually does not tax the bandwidth (cant say for sure), so there might be some other mischief afoot!
Downloading steam games?
That is a one time affair.
Playing them does not consume much.

@vivek.krishnan I respect your opinion. and lets just leave it at that.
If one cannot keep the employees engaged, occupied with meaningful work then the slacking will happen, with or without policing. Blocking network traffic is rarely a solution. I have working for about 13 years now, and currently at a 3 year old startup, we have an xbox + kinect which is eating dust these days since people are genuinely busy doing what they do best. We play CS:GO/Quake3 on and off in the office and the high level of trust put into everyone enables to make wise decisions. We have not seen anyone abuse bandwidth in the last 3 years. Transparency, practical leadership and good communication goes a long way in achieving this. We are 40 people as of today FYI.

@OP With staff that small it'll be wiser to have a quite word with the individuals and resolve the issue. Spending valuable time on blocking stuff will only serve to make the guys look for other "options" and if they are smart enough they WILL find options. Its a weird cycle.

@sarang I agree with what you are saying. I am of the opinion that blocking is not best - its best to keep the internet open. However, not all people are alike. I know of people who misuse their internet @ work to download movies and software - which should not be done. This is the main problem. So - blocking is the only option, especially if the IT admins are few. In fact at a place where I was, TE itself was blocked!

Back