User Guides How to block Web Sites without any Softwares

Steps

1] Browse C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
2] Find the file named "HOSTS"
3] Open it in notepad
4] Under "127.0.0.1 localhost" Add 127.0.0.2 sitenameyouwantblocked.com , and that site will no longer be accessable.
5] Done!

-So-

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.2 www.blockedsite.com

- www.blockedsite.com is now unaccessable
For every site after that you want to add, just add "1" to the last number in the internal ip (127.0.0.2) and then the addy like before.

IE:
127.0.0.3 sms chat
127.0.0.4 sms chat
127.0.0.5 sms chat

This also works with banner sites, just find the host name of the server with the banners and do the same thing with that addy.

Hoep this small tutorial could keep you going in simple way of blocking websites. ;)

Re: How to block webSites without any Softwares

Hi I was just wanting to ask a question. I don't really know anything about this stuff, but I used to do this on my old computer. It used windows xp, and this trick worked fine on it. But now on my laptop I can't get this trick to work. I can go to the host file and everything, and then I type the websites I want to block, but then when I try to save the file, it tells me that it can't create the file and that I need to make sure that the path and file name are correct. Do you know how I can get this fixed. thanks.

Whacko26 said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum:D and I tried to do this method of blocking a website but it didnt work :( I took a look at the screeshot and thats the exact same thing that I did.

Are there any other methods of blocking a site??

in my mac i am using mvps host files which is free for download :eek:hyeah: just download this and replace it with your host file in windows or

The easy way is download "hostman" from mvps install it update the host file with entries from mvps and uninstall it (while uninstallation choose leave host file option ) that's it.

But i recommend to use HOST Man which is a nice software :hap2:

blr_p said:
DNSkong might be the only way to stop sites like dblclick..

how else to stop a4578.dblcick.com ?...that number is semmingly random at times.
Use *.dblcick.com for blocking those random subdomain names.
You can use *.xyz.com to block the entire site including subdomain.
Hope this helps.........

hi,

i'm dealing with the same problem here. The hosts-file-trick only works for a couple, but unfortunately not for the ones i want to block. I do exactly as shown in the example, i do save the file.

There's an addon to Firefox and Flock called Leechblock that works fine, but i still need a way to block in IE. Trouble is that i lost my supervisor password for IE, so i cant access controls for IE anymore....

grtz

P_D

I tried blocking websites and I'm using IE8, it doesn't work. Which browsers does it work with exactly?

this doesn't work if your home or office have smart users :) they find this very easily

instead use opendns

Back