How to boost mobile reception inside house

technofast

Huh?
Adept
For the past couple of months the mobile reception inside my home is very weak. Whether it is Airtel or Jio there is always call drops and disconnection. This happens to all my family members phone. Have raised network complaint with airtel and jio but they close it after a week maintaining that the problem is solved but it still continues. The signal bar on the phone is showing full reception but not sure why all of our phone are getting call drops.

Is there any mobile signal booster antenna that can be installed to better the reception?

Installing Signal boosters is illegal in India

Call quality over 4G is really poor in general. I feel like this is deliberate, since data speeds are pretty good otherwise.

If you have a broadband connection, make sure you enable voice over wifi on your phone, as suggested above. If you don't, then you're out of luck.

Few relatives recently visited from Nagpur, using 5G network, the speed received in MUmbai on jio was upto 540 MBps
but same in Nagpur was restricted to 150 to 250 mbps in local area, inside house it was much low.
If you have a broadband connection, make sure you enable voice over wifi on your phone, as suggested above. If you don't, then you're out of luck.
How do you check, if smartphone has wifi on phone ?

Few relatives recently visited from Nagpur, using 5G network, the speed received in MUmbai on jio was upto 540 MBps
but same in Nagpur was restricted to 150 to 250 mbps in local area, inside house it was much low.

How do you check, if smartphone has wifi on phone ?
I am frequently receiving over 1 Gbps outside in Pune and inside above 600 Mbps

None of the signal boosters work.
The only sure shot way to solve your problem is to get internet, install wifi router, buy Voice over WIfI enabled mobile phones, use VoWiFi feature.
Installing Signal boosters is illegal in India

Call quality over 4G is really poor in general. I feel like this is deliberate, since data speeds are pretty good otherwise.

VowiFi is enabled in all phones. I have a 5G phone and the data speed is very good only the call quality is pathetic.

Your measure for call quality is what?
- frequent call drops?
- poor speech intelligibility?
- low signal?
First and second point. If the call drop does not happen then the voice is not clear on either side. I either need to move to the terrace or to one end of balcony to get clear reception.

First and second point. If the call drop does not happen then the voice is not clear on either side. I either need to move to the terrace or to one end of balcony to get clear reception.
I am surprised that moving to terrace improves things for you.
The first and foremost problem is that whenever there is a phone call made from one Telecom service provider to another (say from Jio to Airtel) it is at the least priority. So it leads to frequent call dropping, more so when you are moving and changing the cells.
Second, they reduce the speech bandwidth. Ideally VoIP, 4G etc should provide 7 kHz bandwidth which gives a clear IP telephone quality.
However, in order to reduce cost and carry more speech over the same channels, these TSPs use 3 kHz bandwidth - which reduces the speech intelligibility drastically.
(https://www.nu9n.com/images/Sound.pdf)
In both the cases I have found that shifting to Whatsapp calls solves the problem and is also acceptable by the other party.

In both the cases I have found that shifting to Whatsapp calls solves the problem and is also acceptable by the other party.
This is exactly what I am doing now. This call drops and voice clarity happened only recently or after 5g was implemented. Not sure if they are related but now even if I switch over to 4G in my phone things does not improve.

An update on this issue - Strangely when I started using an old Samsung S21 and another iPhone 11, the call drop issue disappeared. The same problem appears when using Xiaomi, Realme and Motorola phones.

An update on this issue - Strangely when I started using an old Samsung S21 and another iPhone 11, the call drop issue disappeared. The same problem appears when using Xiaomi, Realme and Motorola phones.
Airtel reserves bandwidth for postpaid users, end result is that they get much better reception. But then again, if the modem is of poor quality, it may not make much difference. Give it a try for one number by taking cheapest plan they have. Switch to 4G and see if that helps as 4G modems have pretty much peaked in efficiency and atleast in cities, 4G bands are now little less crowded.

This happened in office:

I had iPhone 13 and my colleague had Vivo X80. I am on prepaid and he is on postpaid (both on Airtel). There are areas around office where it takes an effort to make upi scan/payments for me while he rarely faced issues. He used to say that it is because he is on postpaid. Once I moved to iPhone 15 pro max, I am getting reception even in elevator and am not facing any issues with upi payments or calls in those same areas. This has to do with much powerful X70 modem from Qualcomm. Phones with 8 gen 3 will have even better reception. Lately network recpetion deteriorated where he is not able to make UPI payments while I do not face any issues :D

Airtel reserves bandwidth for postpaid users, end result is that they get much better reception. But then again, if the modem is of poor quality, it may not make much difference. Give it a try for one number by taking cheapest plan they have. Switch to 4G and see if that helps as 4G modems have pretty much peaked in efficiency and atleast in cities, 4G bands are now little less crowded.

This happened in office:

I had iPhone 13 and my colleague had Vivo X80. I am on prepaid and he is on postpaid (both on Airtel). There are areas around office where it takes an effort to make upi scan/payments for me while he rarely faced issues. He used to say that it is because he is on postpaid. Once I moved to iPhone 15 pro max, I am getting reception even in elevator and am not facing any issues with upi payments or calls in those same areas. This has to do with much powerful X70 modem from Qualcomm. Phones with 8 gen 3 will have even better reception. Lately network recpetion deteriorated where he is not able to make UPI payments while I do not face any issues :D
I'm on postpaid only and it is a family plan. Both 4G and 5G voice reception is good in Samsung S21 and iPhone11 also has a good voice clarity in all nook and corner of the rooms. As you have mentioned the modem in these Chinese phones might have got weak over a period of time. However not sure why the Mi11x pro a couple of years old phone with good snapdragon 888 processor and x55 modem has a bad reception. Probably have to stick with Samsung for now until I figure out and buy a phone that has a good reception in my area (likely inside my home).

I'm on postpaid only and it is a family plan. Both 4G and 5G voice reception is good in Samsung S21 and iPhone11 also has a good voice clarity in all nook and corner of the rooms. As you have mentioned the modem in these Chinese phones might have got weak over a period of time. However not sure why the Mi11x pro a couple of years old phone with good snapdragon 888 processor and x55 modem has a bad reception. Probably have to stick with Samsung for now until I figure out and buy a phone that has a good reception in my area (likely inside my home).
Only thing I can think of is support for bands and the quality of antenna module (this is one thing that some brands cheap out to cut costs). Many phones that released that time had support for one or two bands. In your case iPhone 11 is a 4G phone but it has Intel's modem which was considered weak. That Exynos 2100 on S21 (and SD888 to an extent) has better support for 5G bands and had carrier aggregation as well. Not sure if Mi 11x Pro supported carrier aggregation.

Once I moved to iPhone 15 pro max, I am getting reception even in elevator and am not facing any issues with upi payments or calls in those same areas. This has to do with much powerful X70 modem from Qualcomm. Phones with 8 gen 3 will have even better reception. Lately network recpetion deteriorated where he is not able to make UPI payments while I do not face any issues :D
The Galaxy S23 series, all three variants have X70

Back