How to: Browse computers on a wifi network like regular lan ?

rajshah

Skilled
I have a Linksys WRT54G2.
A pc connects to it through regular RJ45.
And the other laptop connects through wifi.
I can acces the net from the pc and the laptop just fine.

Now,

How do i browse the 2nd machine from the first one like I am on a normal wired lan.
How to transfer files ?

Its the same as a normal wired network.

You need to enable file sharing and share the folders. Also you need to put the same workgroup name in all the machines.

Or you can access it via ip. Go to start-->run-->enter "\\machineip"

Exactly.. No special setup needed. The only difference is the way the system is connected(Wifi/LAN) and the shared folders will be transparent to this.

Is there any specific issues that you are facing with?

varkey said:
Its the same as a normal wired network.

You need to enable file sharing and share the folders. Also you need to put the same workgroup name in all the machines.

Or you can access it via ip. Go to start-->run-->enter "\\machineip"

I am unable to see any of the 2nd pc on the first one and vice versa.

mathew_p_a said:
Exactly.. No special setup needed. The only difference is the way the system is connected(Wifi/LAN) and the shared folders will be transparent to this.

Is there any specific issues that you are facing with?

Are you sure that you have sharing turned on, on the remote machine?.

Try to access the remote folder using the format "\\machineip\" in the "run" window(Note that the slash used is a backward slash)

rajshah said:
I am unable to see any of the 2nd pc on the first one and vice versa.

IINM, in LAN properties you need "client for microsoft networks" and "file and printer sharing" components installed... if you go in there and its not listed, click the add button...

first things first...I assume that you are able to ping from one machine to another.

If you share a folder, you will find that there is a hand like symbol on the folder which shows that it is shared..

rajshah said:
Laptop runs Vista and desktop runs Xp.

Sharing is enabled in vista.

How to confirm sharing is enabled in Xp ?

mathew_p_a said:
first things first...I assume that you are able to ping from one machine to another.

If you share a folder, you will find that there is a hand like symbol on the folder which shows that it is shared..

I am able to ping from one to the other.
Drives shared and show a hand in xp.
Now what ?

Please be more specific.. you are able to ping from XP to Vista or VIsta to XP or youa re able to ping on both?

2ndly if its either of the cases...if you get Ping replies, it means that the communication is just fine...no isssues.. JUST DISABLE YOUR FIREWALL/AV.

2ndly MAKE SURE YOU ARE LOGGED IN AS ADMIN from BOTH THE MACHINES (as of now).. also make sure Sharing is enable on XP and Vista machine..

try to access:
Start > RUn > \\IP of the machine > Hit Enter. B4 you do this, make sure you have shared some folder on your Vista or XP machine... or just create a folder on your Desktop..right click on it and go to properties and enable sharing in it. CLICK APPLY and then OK.

Now try to access same way in your run box \\IP of 1st computer and hit enter and you should get a window of the shared folder on the screen.

..its this simple and should work as no such issues in sharing files/folders between XP and VISTA. Sure its an issue of firewall etc.

The issue is not Wifi or LAN but file sharing (and may be Netbios over TCP/IP) If you can 'see' PCs like LAN with your Ethernet connection then you shud be able to do the same with your WiFi connection as well.

also, make sure both your XP/Vista firewall are off to start with

Once you have the network sharing up & running, you can re-enable them afer adding an exception for file sharing

^ Thanks guys. Solved a couple of days back.

Sharing was not enabled over tcp/ip ( or something like that :))

Don't remember what exactly though.

Works great now !

Back