[How-to] Change the product code on your Nokia S60v5 device

gforce

Adept
Purpose:

Nokia is known for being a dimwit and not releasing firmware updates for all product codes around the world. What is a product code? Well, each phone shipped to particular region has a product code. In fact, different production batches destined to the same country can have different codes. Nokia in all their infinite stupidity decided to release different firmwares for different product codes, thereby ensuring that folks owning phones with product codes not on Nokia's lottery system would miss out on the latest improvements and software fixes. Long story short, if you don't have the latest FW for your phone but would still like one, follow this super quick guide. The process is completely harmless and reversible and takes only a couple of seconds once you're familiar with it.

(Disclaimer: Ensure that nobody unplugs the phone USB connection since it could brick your phone. In addition, I always do this on my laptop since there's always the danger of power outages and such. While I've ensured that the guide is correct to the best of my knowledge, I take no responsibility if your phone gets bricked.)

1. Download JAF 1.98.62.exe:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

2. Download JAF PKEY Emulator v5.0

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

3. Install JAF 1.98.62

4. Extract JAF PKEY Emulator v5.0 to desktop (will emulate jaf tool box)

5. Connect your 5800/N97 via USB and select PC Suite mode on your phone

6. Now execute JAF PKEY v5.0 and click on the GO button. It will show up an error: box driver not installed --> click ok and JAF v1.98 will run.

7. Select the BB5 tab --> tick Prod. Manager --> then click the service button --> click the Read Values button.

8. This is your original product code (something like 0559961). This code is the same as the one printed on the back of the phone beneath the battery. Write it down or save a screen shot in case you ever need to write the original product code back to the phone.

9. Now enter the closest matching product code that has v40 available on Nokia India's server and press the Write Values button. Here is a list of India specific product codes for which the latest official FW is available:

5800- latest FW: v40.0.005

0559961: BLUE (the color of the stripe around the phone)

0573797: BLACK-SILVER

0559673: RED

N97- latest FW: 21.0.045

0575724: Black

0576213: White

Example - If your product code is 0575586 (India 5800 Blue), change it to 0559961. Any Red goes with 0559673 (Red) while Black/Silver goes with its counterpart. N97 users, change it to either 0575724 (Black) or 0576213 (White) depending on the color of your phone. For other Nokia S60v5 devices (or any other BB5 compatible Nokia phone for that matter) or phones that were purchased outside India, Google around for the appropriate product code. They are all over the web. Let me know if you can't find the code appropriate for your device.

10. Disconnect your phone, reboot it and update the FW to the latest version using OTA or via Nokia Software Updater (NSU).

Voila! You're done. If you ever want to revert back to the original product code for any reason, repeat the entire procedure and substitute the product code in step #9 with your original product code. Writing the original product code back will preserve all information and won't remove v40.

PS: Your anti virus might detect jaf pkey as a virus. Don't worry about that. The program simulates a key generation to enable JAF to run which causes this trigger. These files are safe and have been tested by me dozens of times .

Back