How to check the item while buying a second hand phone/Tablet.

awestorr

Adept
Going to buy a second hand android tablet locally(Xiaomi pad 6,7 months old).
What are some of the things i should check/verify before buying.
things that i have thought are

1)some apps that do hardware check .Lemme know some good ones.
2)check charging port, screen, body, camera ,audio etc.
3)get an invoice downloaded from fk/amazon before my own eyes if possible.
4)match sn from box with the device.
5)run geekbench? is it necessary

Last edited:
@Afxal has covered all the valid points.

but will add if buying from stranger(olx type) make sure you do the deal in some small cafe over a tea/coffee or atleast some decent public place and not on the road with him already on his bike or car etc.
Take a friend along just to be little on safe side.

People are crazy and smart these days. Not saying all of them are bad....I have been fortunate enough to meet very decent people also. One guy came with his wife to buy my action camera and we were in cafe nicely talking. It was friendly experience .

Hope this helps.

run geekbench? is it necessary
Not necessary, but it helps (but doing this would take time and patience, that the seller might not have...). Have a baseline in mind. Videos like these might help-
You can ascertain things like if the device and display are getting too hot to touch and if the scores are far low, etc.

anyway to spot this in mi devices?
I don't know any fool proof way to confirm this but you can try the following,

- Sometimes EMI might be mentioned as payment method in the Invoice itself.
- You can check the list of installed apps (Including system apps) for Device Lock Controller or similar apps from third parties like Flipkart, Bajaj etc.

If the buyer is not forthcoming regarding this, then depending on where the device was bought (Like from Flipkart, Mi.com, Local store, Carrier contract etc), You should be able to contact the respective customer care to confirm the status. Although at that point the deal is already in shady territory.

Back