How to compress pdf file which contains high resolution images.

rupeshforu3

Disciple
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have an android tablet and an Acrobat reader and a PDF file. I have tried to open it in Acrobat reader and failed to load even after 10 minutes but I have copied the above file to PC and tried to open it in Acrobat reader and it has been successfully loaded.

I have extracted the images of the above pdf file to 427 jpeg files. Surprisingly the resulted folder size is 1.2 GB and the PDF file size is 54 mb only. After that I have seen the properties of one jpeg file and it is 3.5 mb with 2048* resolution.

I think that the tablet consists of processor with lower resources and the system processor has higher resources. So the above mentioned pdf file is unable to load in the tablet.

I have opened a number of pdf files in my tablet and everything worked fine except this.

I have tried to compress the pdf file using ghost script guis like densify and workerpdf using options like ebook, screen, pre press etc.,. and unfortunately all of the resulting output files are above 150 mb.

After that I have compressed the 427 jpeg files using ffmpeg gui tool called format factory and the resulted folder size is 250 mb. I have even created pdf using a tool called ilovepdf by selecting all of the compressed jpeg files. Unfortunately the resulted output pdf file is 250 mb.

Can anyone of you suggest how to compress the pdf file by internally compressing the images present in the pdf file.

Regards

Rupesh.

Uploading a 1 GB pdf file (really unsure if any site will provide uploading such large data for free).
There are lots of pdf compress tools available, which will automatically compress the images in pdf files as well.
Search/Install and do needful.

Just ensure pdf is not password protected.

Actually all of you have miss understood than reality.

Actually the original pdf file is 53 mb only but the images extracted from it is of size 1.2gb.

As you said there are lots of pdf compress tools available can you specify some of them.

My question is someone has created a pdf file which consists of 427 jpeg images of size 1.2 GB. Now is it possible to create a new compressed pdf file which consists of jpeg images of size 150 mb.

If you have the original scanned jpgs, you can compress them in batch to target 150 mb in total. Just set the maximum compressed file size for each in the settings (Irfanview allows that) so that you end up with a total of 150 mb. Then create the PDF.

Actually all of you have miss understood than reality.

Actually the original pdf file is 53 mb only but the images extracted from it is of size 1.2gb.

As you said there are lots of pdf compress tools available can you specify some of them.

My question is someone has created a pdf file which consists of 427 jpeg images of size 1.2 GB. Now is it possible to create a new compressed pdf file which consists of jpeg images of size 150 mb.
Use Acrobat to extract all of these images.

Select the folder where you extracted those images via this program: https://sourceforge.net/projects/icompress/
Compress with appropriate settings, it should be relatively easy to figure out how to get them all down to a total of 150mb (each image should be 2-3MB right now, you'd have to get each of them to approximately 0.35MB to achieve the final size target).

This will absolutely demolish the image quality of each of them but I'm guessing that is the intention.

Already I have compressed 427 scanned jpeg images using Irfan view and the resulted size is 150 mb.

As I have already said someone has created a pdf file which consists of 427 images of size 1.2 gb and the pdf file size is 53 mb only.

Now how can I create a pdf file which consists of compressed jpeg images. The created pdf file size must not be more than 25 mb.

Can you specify any app to create a pdf file using images.

Going from 150 MB to 25 MB will result in loss of artifacts and pics/text will become unclear. If you are ok with that then target intitial jpg image compression such that total is 25 MB then merge them all into a PDF without any compression i.e. 100% quality.
As to what the other guy did what he did, probably best to ask him. Here are some options -
I have not used any of those though. I use this for my direct scan to PDF needs.

Last edited:
I have tried to convert and compress pdf file in various apps like ghost script, Nitro pdf, Acrobat reader dc etc.,.

Unfortunately all the resulted pdf files are greater than 150 mb.

After that I have copied resulted pdf files to my Lenovo tab and fortunately all are working on my tablet.

Try SMALLPDF for once.

You upload your PDF to the website and choose compress PDF option. The results are usually pretty more than satisfactory for most cases. Give it a try. :)

Back