How to connect PC & laptop via Ethernet cable.

Migician

Disciple
hi there i have laptop which has xp pro sp3 installed & desktop which is running on windows 7 ultimate x64 bit.

now i want to transfer some heavy data from my laptop to my desktop through lan i have cable with both side RJ45.

help me friends how to configure both machines to enable data transfer.

Please explain in brief thanks in advance.

If you want to connect 2 computers without a network hub, then you will have to use a CROSS cable. I suppose any hardware store selling networking cables should have it. Just make sure you ask for CROSS cable - normal cable will not work.

Check if your PC and Laptop both have gigabit Ethernet port or not. If gigabit Ethernet then a straight cat5/cat6 cable will be able to transfer file.

Unless your pc and/or lappy are very old you dont require a crossover cable because todays NICs are straight through compatible by virtue of the auto-mDIX feature.

Auto-MDIX (automatic medium-dependent interface crossover) is a computer networking technology that automatically detects the required cable connection type (straight-through or crossover) and configures the connection appropriately, thereby removing the need for crossover cables to interconnect switches or connecting PCs peer-to-peer.

Medium dependent interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey, I don't know whether either my netbook or desktop motherboard LAN has this auto-MDIX. Is there a possibility of any damage to either of the systems if I connect them with a straight cable, to find out whether they connect or not?

hellfire said:
Hey, I don't know whether either my netbook or desktop motherboard LAN has this auto-MDIX. Is there a possibility of any damage to either of the systems if I connect them with a straight cable, to find out whether they connect or not?
None whatsoever - you will see no activity on the LAN status. Most present gen ports are auto-MDIX capable as already hinted. Worth a try if you have a crimping tool and few spare RJ45 connectors lying around.

Back