Windows How to disable Chrome media controls?

chayarishav

Disciple
What's playing on my android TV is basically showing in every laptop and computer's chrome browser that are connected to my home wifi no matter what google account other systems' chrome is signed in. So pretty much all family members can see it.
I turned off cast control in google home yet no luck.
Connected TV to a seperate guest wifi SSID in my router yet no result.
Any suggestion to disable this?
1707654586541.png

Might be worth mentioning first if you tried any of the options that came up in a Google search
Turned off cast media controls which I mentioned already but no luck. If I leave that enabled, every single Android device connected to my wifi would show what I'm playing.

Its the usual android tv behavior as it shows such controls on all compatible devices. For me it only shows on most of the cellphones but not on any of my windows laptops/desktop!
But its reverse for my desktop as it shows my desktop name in TVs devices menu for casting though I never tried.

You have already tried Turn off cast media controls guess something needs to be done from your devices settings.

Try to enter TVs google casting settings if it shows anything. Also, try to disable BT on all your devices.
family members have their own accounts logged in yet it shows, even shows without signing in to google chrome just the device has to be connected to same wifi network
This has got nothing to do with a specific account as its a device specific feature.

One important catch is I dont use chrome browser at all on any of my laptops/desktops and even if I have to, I haven't logged into my google account in any chrome browsers! I keep Google account only limited to my android devices--Phones and TVs! Thus, its likely that you have logged in to/use chrome on your laptops and hence the nagging thing!

Try removing the account altogether and check and I think that should solve it else for a common Wifi things it might show irrespective of account logins across devices.

Too much to try and fiddle with but thats how it is! Let us know which experiment works!

Last edited:
Turned off cast media controls which I mentioned already but no luck. If I leave that enabled, every single Android device connected to my wifi would show what I'm playing.
why would you leave that enabled if you're trying to disable it? what is the result when you disable it? does it not solve the issue?

There is an option in chromecast settings itself. You can find it in Google Home application. Disable that. The controls would then only show for the person playing the content.

There is an option in chromecast settings itself. You can find it in Google Home application. Disable that. The controls would then only show for the person playing the content.
As mentioned, this yielded no result.
why would you leave that enabled if you're trying to disable it? what is the result when you disable it? does it not solve the issue?
I said what exactly happens when you don't disable it as it stays on by default. Every single phone connected to your wifi can see and control what you're casting & viewing (by default).
However, disabling it removes Android notifications in all devices but others can still see what you're viewing if they use chrome on desktop that's connected to your local network.
I meant are "you" logged in ?
I'm not logged in to any of their devices. And as @nRiTeCh said it's not really an account feature.

I'm not logged in to any of their devices. And as @nRiTeCh said it's not really an account feature.
I am not so sure. I disabled it and logged out of my browser and it has not reappeared again. It had showed up when my parents were watching TV which has my Google account logged in. I will need to check what others see as you mentioned above.
Edit : Not sure if this registry hack works but worth a try -

Last edited:
I said what exactly happens when you don't disable it as it stays on by default. Every single phone connected to your wifi can see and control what you're casting & viewing (by default).
However, disabling it removes Android notifications in all devices but others can still see what you're viewing if they use chrome on desktop that's connected to your local network.
To clarify, this is the option you're using right?
1707727914400.png

To clarify, this is the option you're using right?
View attachment 190509

Yes, turns out it just controls notifications on other Android devices not chrome notification on windows devices.

I am not so sure. I disabled it and logged out of my browser and it has not reappeared again. It had showed up when my parents were watching TV which has my Google account logged in. I will need to check what others see as you mentioned above.
Edit : Not sure if this registry hack works but worth a try -
I think I've tried that and it doesn't work in new chrome versions anymore still useless even it was working as it'd only prevent cast media controls on chrome where you can edit policies. I can't do that on all people devices connected to my wifi

TEMPORARY SOLUTION-
So I connected my android TV to a separate guest SSID and disable local devices visibility on router settings for it.

Seems to do the work and what's playing isn't visible on other devices anymore but it breaks the casting functionality. Other devices won't be able to find Android TV under cast

TEMPORARY SOLUTION-
So I connected my android TV to a separate guest SSID and disable local devices visibility on router settings for it.
Was about to suggest this, by default many routers guest wifi mode has local network access enabled.

Seems to do the work and what's playing isn't visible on other devices anymore but it breaks the casting functionality. Other devices won't be able to find Android TV under cast
Guest mode with internet access only/local network access disabled means devices can't directly see each other but some routers have a sort of filter mechanism to setup IoT devices even on guest mode wifi network with local network access disabled. Try connecting some other device to guest mode & then see if it can find the android tv.

Back